Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

In Search of Stability

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
retrotec29
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: In Search of Stability

Post by retrotec29 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm

I had a little time after work today so I hit the park. Here is a little vid with the 8" GB zip ties on a schedule 20 1 1/2" ID collar. Two liter bottle with one half liter water at 100 psi.

https://youtu.be/USwHpn86Jx4

Looks like the release was a 3.25-3.5 lbs.
Sorry about the double post earlier. My internet was a little weird.

No matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai

Pere Ubu
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pere Ubu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:40 pm

There's a lot here for me to think about as I plan Launcher v 2.0 - the present one has air pressure all the way through it, and I think I'll build the base separate from the launch section so's I can drill some holes for tent pegs. In addition, I saw a neat launcher on YouTube that uses a Gardena-type head but has springs keeping the connector retracted, and a large washer pulled out to let the connector spring back. Viz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Svxw5j1OmU

Why your rocket is unstable = CN⍺1/2⍴v2⍺Ar

Northeast Pataphysical Institute, Aerospace Division

retrotec29
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by retrotec29 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm

I like it. A great example of thinking outside the box. Ha! Looks like you really like the Gadena nozzle and collar. That’s cool. I did add a Gadena adapter for my launcher that is actuated by the pull string. Getting the release to work with a manageable tension was a challenge but the solution was simple. I took the locking collar apart and cut the spring down. Fish scale puts the realease tension at 3 lbs.
98CD1AB2-3767-42FD-891A-B8EE6260D8EA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai

Pere Ubu
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pere Ubu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 am

retrotec29 wrote:I like it. A great example of thinking outside the box. Ha! Looks like you really like the Gardena nozzle and collar.
I like a problem-solving challenge. ;)
I took the locking collar apart and cut the spring down.
I tried following George Katz's advice on his YouTube video about how to take the collar apart, and I couldn't get the plastic strips to unlock it.

Why your rocket is unstable = CN⍺1/2⍴v2⍺Ar

Northeast Pataphysical Institute, Aerospace Division