Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 am

Here are some 200 to 300 psi floor pumps, there isn´t only the Topeak...there are others.


- Topeak Joe Blow ACE Floor Pump with SmartHead (260 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Blow-Floor ... 57&sr=1-86



- Serfas FMP-500 Bicycle Floor Pump (260 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-FMP-500-Bi ... d_sbs_sg_5



- Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive Bicycle Floor Pump (220 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Alloy-Floo ... 59&sr=1-14



- SKS Rennkompressor 75Th Anniversary Edition Bicycle Floor Pump (230 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Rennkompresso ... 50&sr=1-28



- Blackburn Air Tower HP Pump (220 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-AirTowe ... 09&sr=1-71


- ACTION PUMP SKS FL AIRBASE PRO EVA SMART HEAD (232PSI)

http://www.amazon.com/ACTION-SKS-AIRBAS ... 9&sr=1-195


- Silca Super Pista Bicycle Floor Pump (230 psi)

http://www.amazon.com/Silca-Super-Pista ... 2&sr=1-174


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by Tim Chen » Sat May 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I was wondering... is there a need for pressures over 200PSI for a bike tire? I've never seen one that was higher than 120SPI. What do they need that kind of pressure for? It's not like they are trying to make pumps for water rockets!


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Sat May 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Tim Chen wrote:I was wondering... is there a need for pressures over 200PSI for a bike tire? I've never seen one that was higher than 120SPI. What do they need that kind of pressure for? It's not like they are trying to make pumps for water rockets!
I read that for road bike tires it needs to be high, but that person only used at 150 psi.

I make myself the same question...


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
schmidi093
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 am

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by schmidi093 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:14 pm

In Germany most of the Water Rocket rocketyrs use this pump. It is a very good pump.

SKS Rennkommpressor Original:

http://www.amazon.de/SKS-Luftpumpe-Renn ... 843&sr=8-1



User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Sat May 29, 2010 2:41 pm

schmidi093 wrote:In Germany most of the Water Rocket rocketyrs use this pump. It is a very good pump.

SKS Rennkommpressor Original:

http://www.amazon.de/SKS-Luftpumpe-Renn ... 843&sr=8-1

Do you know the max pressure achived ? Because publicity in shops always tends to rise the bar values...

My Zéfal Blizzard had a paper saying 16 bars...now it´s sold saying 14 bars...I went to 11 bars hardly...


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 pm

The Topeak its better because it can pump in 3 phases and it´s accurate...the reviews about the SKS say that it´s not accurate...anyway that it´s solved by using a accurate gauge in the launcher.

See the reviews:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... pump-28770

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ssor-12349


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:09 pm

RaZias wrote:
schmidi093 wrote:In Germany most of the Water Rocket rocketyrs use this pump. It is a very good pump.

SKS Rennkommpressor Original:

http://www.amazon.de/SKS-Luftpumpe-Renn ... 843&sr=8-1

Do you know the max pressure achived ? Because publicity in shops always tends to rise the bar values...

My Zéfal Blizzard had a paper saying 16 bars...now it´s sold saying 14 bars...I went to 11 bars hardly...

So it would seem that hand pump manufacturers inflate their specifications the same way electric compressor companies do!


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

User avatar
schmidi093
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 am

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by schmidi093 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:12 am

The max pressure of the SKS is 16bars. I went to 16,5 bars :) .

Thomas



User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Sun May 30, 2010 7:40 am

schmidi093 wrote:The max pressure of the SKS is 16bars. I went to 16,5 bars :) .

Thomas
16.5 bar that is sweet :D

The one problem is the review I showed that that pump is not accurate, but they didn´t showed values.

The small china compressor achived 230 psi and in fact was 180 psi...that´s 50 psi of difference...

That difference might cause problems in a World record launch for 200 psi.

You have two sides: either you don´t set the record because the pressure was lower than 200 psi either you make a new record because in reality you launched above 200 psi.


Do we need a new rule for floor pumps in wra2 ? :shock:
Should be a gauge in the launcher always ? G:


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by WRA2 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:52 am

RaZias wrote:
schmidi093 wrote:The max pressure of the SKS is 16bars. I went to 16,5 bars :) .

Thomas
16.5 bar that is sweet :D

The one problem is the review I showed that that pump is not accurate, but they didn´t showed values.

The small china compressor achived 230 psi and in fact was 180 psi...that´s 50 psi of difference...

That difference might cause problems in a World record launch for 200 psi.

You have two sides: either you don´t set the record because the pressure was lower than 200 psi either you make a new record because in reality you launched above 200 psi.

Do we need a new rule for floor pumps in wra2 ? :shock:
Should be a gauge in the launcher always ? G:
The preferred location for the pressure gauge is on the launcher (for our altitude challenge competition that is being referred to). That way the team could show both the pressure and the rocket launching together. Our other competitions either have unlimited pressure or are limited by the pressure vessel requirements (no reinforcement). As far as calibration for the pressure gauge goes, we rely on the honesty of the competitor and the scrutiny of the membership during the review process. If the rocket is "overbuilt" and can "obviously hold much more pressure then the 200 allowed the attempt would be questioned and a certification of the meter may be asked for.


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

User avatar
thunderrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:03 am

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by thunderrockets » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

is it true that when the pressure chamber inside the pump is smaller like about 1/2" plumbing tubes you can put a higher pressure inside your rocket,without jumping onto the handelbars to get that
m(*)th(*)rf(*)ck(*)ng :evil: plunger pushed down when reaching 14 bars !!!!!!!!!!
like pumping("jumping"ass i call it)to 16 bars with a normal bike pump is almost imposseble, when reaching 14 bars its like "jumping" onto concrete!!! :mad:
but when the diameter is reduced to a smaller size , pumping to 16 bars would go a lot esier cause there aint a big volume of air inside the camber. :)



SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by SaskAlex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm

thunderrockets wrote:is it true that when the pressure chamber inside the pump is smaller like about 1/2" plumbing tubes you can put a higher pressure inside your rocket,without jumping onto the handelbars to get that
m(*)th(*)rf(*)ck(*)ng :evil: plunger pushed down when reaching 14 bars !!!!!!!!!!
like pumping("jumping"ass i call it)to 16 bars with a normal bike pump is almost imposseble, when reaching 14 bars its like "jumping" onto concrete!!! :mad:
but when the diameter is reduced to a smaller size , pumping to 16 bars would go a lot esier cause there aint a big volume of air inside the camber. :)
Well, a given person can only put so much force on a pump. If we ignore jumping action, that force is equal to his weight. Since pressure is force times area, a given person will be able to achieve twice the pressure with a pump that has half the cross sectional area. Basically, at any pressure you would require half the force, but twice as many strokes to achieve the same change in pressure.



User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:06 am

thunderrockets wrote:is it true that when the pressure chamber inside the pump is smaller like about 1/2" plumbing tubes you can put a higher pressure inside your rocket,without jumping onto the handelbars to get that
m(*)th(*)rf(*)ck(*)ng :evil: plunger pushed down when reaching 14 bars !!!!!!!!!!
like pumping("jumping"ass i call it)to 16 bars with a normal bike pump is almost imposseble, when reaching 14 bars its like "jumping" onto concrete!!! :mad:
but when the diameter is reduced to a smaller size , pumping to 16 bars would go a lot esier cause there aint a big volume of air inside the camber. :)
Thunderrockets,

What compressor or/and pump floor do you use ?


Research and Development is the soul of WR

User avatar
thunderrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:03 am

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by thunderrockets » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm

i use a regular 16bar hand pump
immage http://teamthunderrockets.webs.com/apps ... d=42984613



User avatar
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: 200 to 300 psi floor pumps

Post by RaZias » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 pm

thunderrockets wrote:i use a regular 16bar hand pump
immage http://teamthunderrockets.webs.com/apps ... d=42984613
That regular one was a brand/name/mark/model ?


Research and Development is the soul of WR

Post Reply