Easiest launcher to make.

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Easiest launcher to make.

Post by Drake Stutesman »

This is in of my numerous launcher projects so far this has been old reliable hasnt failed me yet, next im looking to make a launcher for a carbon fiber plastic light covering can anyone help me with the launcher?
Attachments
water rockets 177.JPG
water rockets 177.JPG (154.81 KiB) Viewed 355 times
water rockets 172.JPG
water rockets 172.JPG (112.23 KiB) Viewed 355 times
water rockets 171.JPG
water rockets 171.JPG (116.02 KiB) Viewed 355 times
water rockets 179.JPG
water rockets 179.JPG (103.98 KiB) Viewed 355 times
If it doesnt work the first time it probably wont work the second, but most definitly work the third.
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Easiest launcher to make.

Post by SaskAlex »

Hi, what size of copper tube is that? It's not the same size as a regular pop bottle neck, is it?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Drake Stutesman wrote:This is in of my numerous launcher projects so far this has been old reliable hasnt failed me yet, next im looking to make a launcher for a carbon fiber plastic light covering can anyone help me with the launcher?
Hello Drake,

Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum :W

Please take the time to complete the WRA2 membership application if you are planning on competing (anyone interested in building a carbon fiber wrapped FTC will eventually want to compete).

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Membership_Application.php

Also please review the competition rules and the safety rules before you go through the time and expense to construct your rocket.

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Competitions.php
http://www.wra2.org/Water_Rocket_Safety_Rules.php

We also have a members only forum for discussing carbon fiber wrapped rocket construction.

http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=50

Access will be granted upon processing of your completed membership application (usually within 24 hours upon application submission)

Good Luck! :WRA2:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

You can't beat wood, black steel, and copper pipes. There is no substitute!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The copper tube is smaller then the bottle neck but what holds the pressure is the rubber orings and they havent failed me yet, the orings can come off to make it easier to slip other things over them

As for making a carbon fiber rocket would you guys have any suggestions to help a newcomer into this different breed of water rockets?

Plus im only 14 so i dont have the deepest pockets either.
Attachments
My idea is to use pvc pipe and adaptit to fit around the o-rings tightly and then apoxy a bottle neck to the pvc pipe so that the cable ties can tightly hold down the bottle, as for the carbon fiber i have no idea what to do. the pvc pipe will connect to the ftc pipe threw some various adaptings if you have any ideas on what i should change feel free to comment.
My idea is to use pvc pipe and adaptit to fit around the o-rings tightly and then apoxy a bottle neck to the pvc pipe so that the cable ties can tightly hold down the bottle, as for the carbon fiber i have no idea what to do. the pvc pipe will connect to the ftc pipe threw some various adaptings if you have any ideas on what i should change feel free to comment.
RocketDesign.png (22.89 KiB) Viewed 321 times
If it doesnt work the first time it probably wont work the second, but most definitly work the third.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Hi Drake.

I wanted to know what are the size of 0-rings you use for your launcher and the external diameter of the tube where the 0-rings are inserted.

Thank you.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The copper pipe is roughlhy 3/5 of and inch and the orings are 9/16 inner diameter and 13/16 outer diameter
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Our own detailed launcher design tutorial can be found at:

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

AAAhhh what fun is water rockets if your being told how to do it? hahha sometimes its more fun to fail at something then it is to succeed.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Drake Stutesman wrote:AAAhhh what fun is water rockets if your being told how to do it? hahha sometimes its more fun to fail at something then it is to succeed.
very true! but sometimes you need help with the small stuff to fail at the big stuff!
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Brian wrote:
Drake Stutesman wrote:AAAhhh what fun is water rockets if your being told how to do it? hahha sometimes its more fun to fail at something then it is to succeed.
very true! but sometimes you need help with the small stuff to fail at the big stuff!
Yeah. Having someone tell you which size of PVC pipe fits inside a bottle and which O-ring fits over the PVC pipe is the kind of detail that every person doesn't need to figure out for themselves.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I know but its like playing ping pong and beating a person thats better than you and there not trying.
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

doesnt feel as good.
n0face
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by n0face »

However if the better ping pong player takes it easy on you and shows you some tricks and tips you become a better player more likely to beat the ping pong player at the top of his game improving the sport for everybody.
Drake Stutesman
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

alright true but what if you will never acheive beating this player?