Need help with T8 FTC

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Need help with T8 FTC

Post by danb »

Has anyone found a supplier in the UK that stocks T8 FTC tubing or something similiar im trying to make a mark 3 stager from aircommand website any help with this would be greatfully recieved

Dan B
pudresful
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Need help with T8 FTC

Post by pudresful »

I had same broblem with that but in our solar panel lamp foot where was aluminium pipe and I use it try find yours some where :o
air.command

Post by air.command »

danb wrote:Has anyone found a supplier in the UK that stocks T8 FTC tubing or something similiar im trying to make a mark 3 stager from aircommand website any help with this would be greatfully recieved

Dan B
Hi Dan,

The T8 FTC is not a critical component of the stager. It was just a convenient size because it fits over the cap and holds the springs aligned. You might be able to roll your own from a straight section of a PET bottle. Just cut a longer length in circumference from the bottle then roll a tighter tube using bottle caps at either end as a guide and where it overlaps just glue it together. Since it does not seal any pressurised components, pretty much any PU glue you can get in the UK should be able to do the job. The main thing to remember is to make sure that the ends of the resulting tube are cut square so the Gardena coupling sits properly on it.

Alternatively you may be able to find similar sized PVC tubing, though its likely to be heavier.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

thanks George for the help much appreciated i wll try it

Dan B
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

Just in case anyone is still looking for FTC in the UK, there is a company called covershield, their website is covershield.co.uk. I have bought from them a year or so ago and they dont have a minimum quantity, also very helpful on the phone. The FTCs are quite thick walled so hold plenty of pressure - I have T8s and T12s, can measure the wall thickness if anyone is interested.
guy97
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by guy97 »

Hello,
How thick is that ftc and how much pressure can it hold. How much pressure would 0.020" ftc hold do you think

Regards,
Mathew
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

Hi, just put the micrometer on it - wall thickness of both T8 and T12 is 0.8mm which is about 0.03". I think it will stand a lot of pressure, certainly no proble at 200psi which is the max ive had it to before the bulkhead blew out (and probably went higher than any rocket I've launched!

I have had one piece of T12 in use for over 2 years now, just keep gluing different ends on, the FTC never seems to suffer.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

160psi wrote:Hi, just put the micrometer on it - wall thickness of both T8 and T12 is 0.8mm which is about 0.03". I think it will stand a lot of pressure, certainly no proble at 200psi which is the max ive had it to before the bulkhead blew out (and probably went higher than any rocket I've launched!

I have had one piece of T12 in use for over 2 years now, just keep gluing different ends on, the FTC never seems to suffer.
That must be some high quality plastic yours use. We get ours at Home Depot and they ones they sell usually fail at 190PSI. Where do you get yours?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison