Laucher with Rocket

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
janssene

Laucher with Rocket

Post by janssene »

This weekend we have a boy scouts weekend. As the weather forecast is predicting a sunny weekend we have decided that we will build water rockets with the kids. So this was a good time to upgrade my ty-rap laucher.
I've not been using it lately as i'm currently experimenting with restricted 9mm nozzles (gardena launcher).

When using a non-restricted nozzle it's easier for the kids to build a stable rocket.

This is what I did...

- Added more ty-raps. Allowing more pressure.
- Added the lauch pad
- Used a bicycle valve as airhose connector. Now a compressor and a regular foot pump can be used. I use a piece of regular waterhose to connect it to the launchpad.

Works like a charm !

With my first test launch I used a 2L bottle with fins glued to the bottle. However due to hard landings the fins broke. Therefor i've decided to make them more rigid. Hope they will not break this time.
Attachments
airhose
airhose
IMAG0009.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 127 times
fins
fins
IMAG0006.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 127 times
laucher with rocket mounted
laucher with rocket mounted
IMAG0008.jpg (1021.97 KiB) Viewed 127 times
pudresful
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Laucher with Rocket

Post by pudresful »

heres my instructions... [youtube][/youtube]
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Laucher with Rocket

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Hi!

A couple of suggestions for your fins:

First of all, you should use a swept wing design because they will shed air along the leading edge more easily and reduce the drag.
Angled wings also are less prone to snagging on tree branches or power lines, etc.
Lastly, you should look for plastic fasteners, as pop rivets and screws are metal and are more dangerous in the event of a mishap.

Good luck with the rockets!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison