Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Canadian responses please!

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Post Reply
Luigino
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Canadian responses please!

Post by Luigino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi all....

Has anyone had any luck finding the 3/8 inch pvc in Canada? This is the pvc section shown sliding into the 1/2 inch pvc on the the addition of an o ring for the launch tube. I have been to the local Home Depots, Lowes and plumbing stores and no one has ever heard of it!



User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Canadian responses please!

Post by WRA2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Luigino wrote:Hi all....

Has anyone had any luck finding the 3/8 inch pvc in Canada? This is the pvc section shown sliding into the 1/2 inch pvc on the the addition of an o ring for the launch tube. I have been to the local Home Depots, Lowes and plumbing stores and no one has ever heard of it!
Try this place. It looks like they would ship to Canada as long as you fill out the customs documentation.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=26301

They are located in Ohio so you might also be able to drive there (Not sure where in Canada you are from).

Welcome to the forum :W


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Canadian responses please!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:04 pm

WRA2 wrote:
Luigino wrote:Hi all....

Has anyone had any luck finding the 3/8 inch pvc in Canada? This is the pvc section shown sliding into the 1/2 inch pvc on the the addition of an o ring for the launch tube. I have been to the local Home Depots, Lowes and plumbing stores and no one has ever heard of it!
Try this place. It looks like they would ship to Canada as long as you fill out the customs documentation.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=26301

They are located in Ohio so you might also be able to drive there (Not sure where in Canada you are from).

Welcome to the forum :W

Don't forget that the pipe requirement isn't strictly for PVC pipe. It's very likely you can find a 3/8" tube made from ABS or even fiberglass and substitute it for the 3/8" pvc. The narrow tube isn't really under a lot of pressure because it is inside the 1/2" PVC and the o-ring, so it does not need to be incredibly strong. A 3/8" tube of any material that you can glue to PVC should work.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

stang66
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Canadian responses please!

Post by stang66 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi all, I thought I'd go ahead and mention something that I found out on my own several years ago. When I built my first launcher I looked all over the internet for ideas and I did come come across the o-ring set-up using the 1/2" pvc and the other, lets call it 3/8" pvc (because the original posters/authors do). Luckily, I worked at an Ace hardware store and I was able to recognize the pieces being used so I just blew off the fact that the webpages mis-labeled the pipes being used (Pipes made of plastics come in different colors and diameters for specific uses).

So finally to the point...white pipe is called PVC, and is primarily used for cold water. The smaller pipe being used is a light beige which makes it CPVC and it is primarily used for hot water. The pipe you are looking for is 1/2" CPVC which is small enough to be forced into 1/2" PVC. I say this with certainty because I've used this method for sealing my launcher for years. It may not sound right that both pipes are 1/2" but to make a long story short they are measured in different ways...PVC is measured by inside diameter while CPVC is measured by outside diameter.

Good luck in your search for the pipe, I bet it will be easier to find locally now that you know what it is called.
Happy rocketing!
Stang66



User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Canadian responses please!

Post by WRA2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 pm

stang66 wrote:Hi all, I thought I'd go ahead and mention something that I found out on my own several years ago. When I built my first launcher I looked all over the internet for ideas and I did come come across the o-ring set-up using the 1/2" pvc and the other, lets call it 3/8" pvc (because the original posters/authors do). Luckily, I worked at an Ace hardware store and I was able to recognize the pieces being used so I just blew off the fact that the webpages mis-labeled the pipes being used (Pipes made of plastics come in different colors and diameters for specific uses).

So finally to the point...white pipe is called PVC, and is primarily used for cold water. The smaller pipe being used is a light beige which makes it CPVC and it is primarily used for hot water. The pipe you are looking for is 1/2" CPVC which is small enough to be forced into 1/2" PVC. I say this with certainty because I've used this method for sealing my launcher for years. It may not sound right that both pipes are 1/2" but to make a long story short they are measured in different ways...PVC is measured by inside diameter while CPVC is measured by outside diameter.

Good luck in your search for the pipe, I bet it will be easier to find locally now that you know what it is called.
Happy rocketing!
Stang66
Here is a source for the CPVC pipe:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=521

Thanks for the clarification and welcome to the forum! :W


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

Freezy
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Canadian responses please!

Post by Freezy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Wait... 3/8 PVC??? EK: Don't you mean 3/4 PVC? :?



Post Reply