Simplest launcher design

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Simplest launcher design

Post by Jelo »

Hi,

The other day I said I was going to build a new launcher, and I did. I decided to go back to 20mm nozzle for increased stability. The

launcher is basically a rip tie launcher, except with a much easier was to seal the bottle. I basically melted an area of the plastic pipe

(I will tell you the exact type later) using a blowtorch and then pushed on both ends of the pipe to make a little bump. I made sure the

bump was bigger than 20mm and then slid a bottle onto it, and waited for the pipe to solidify. This made a perfect seal between the

pipe and the bottle! I do not remember the type of plastic the pipe was made of but it had a rubberized coating, which made the seal

even better. I'm not sure if this is possible with regular PVC piping. I will upload pictures and possibly a video later on :)
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Simplest launcher design

Post by Jelo »

The plastic turns out to be PEX, used to carry warm water from heater. Here are some pictures:
Attachments
GOPR0034.JPG
GOPR0034.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 186 times
GOPR0031.JPG
GOPR0031.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 186 times
GOPR0030.JPG
GOPR0030.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 186 times
GOPR0029.JPG
GOPR0029.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 186 times
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

Wow, that is a very simple seal. Pretty interesting. What kind of pressures have you had it up to?
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

So far I've only tested it to 80 psi, although it showed no sign of leaking or anything. Might try 100 psi if the weather gets better!
Here's a video of the launch:
[youtube][/youtube]
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

The finished product looks really nice. It looks a lot better than it sounded like from the description.

If you have any information about the pipe you used, please post it so that other people can duplicate the launcher.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

Yes I didn't think the seal was going to be very good when i thought of it, but it shows no signs of leakage at 100psi!

As for the pipe, I found it in my garage, the plumber just left it there, he used it to carry the warm water out of the heater.

On it is written that it can withstand 12 bars, which is roughly 180 psi. Considering my pump can only go to 160psi, there's no chance

of it ever bursting because of the pressure. As I said it's a 3/4 inch PEX pipe, which consists of several layers of different plastics.
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
tcarnahan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by tcarnahan »

You can use 1/2 inch PVC schedule 40 pipe which is rated at 240 psi (sorry, I don't know how to convert to bar). Put a wooden dowel rod in the pipe so that it hangs out both ends. Mark the place where you want the "bump" (seal point). Light a candle and hold it under the seal point and slowly rotate. Keep the flame about 1/2 to 1 inch from the pipe. You'll have to experiment on how long to heat it, but at the right time, you push on the pipe from both ends. The dowel rod keeps the pipe straight. Once you achieve the "bump" take the pipe off the flame, but continue to push on both ends until it cools.

It forms a great seal! :cl:
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

That's pretty much what i did
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jelo wrote:That's pretty much what i did
This idea could be useful to people looking for how to make a launcher for other kind of containers like those water cooler bottles and drink bottles with odd sized necks.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison