Air support

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Air support

Post by longpaddle »

I need some help figuring out how to get over the 100psi mark.
All my lanucher parts are rated to 200psi and up , and I've built in a 150psi safety.
The problem is what device to use to get to above the 120psi mark.
I've gone through 3 hand pumps and 2 12volt pumps all with the same problem. I read it over and over on the net, they don't work to the rated pressure.
Both 12v's got up to about 90psi (rated for 150psi) then refused to push more. The hand pumps leaked at about the same.
What Is the prefered high pressure fill method and what device is recommended?
I'm thinking a pressure tank, like the paint guns use 3000psi small tanks, even two if I need more volume for more launches. But I'm not sure what to use to regulate it down. The paint guns use about 400psi I think, but I'd still need something to dial it down from there.
Any advice would be great...thanks
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Air support

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

longpaddle wrote:I need some help figuring out how to get over the 100psi mark.
All my lanucher parts are rated to 200psi and up , and I've built in a 150psi safety.
The problem is what device to use to get to above the 120psi mark.
I've gone through 3 hand pumps and 2 12volt pumps all with the same problem. I read it over and over on the net, they don't work to the rated pressure.
Both 12v's got up to about 90psi (rated for 150psi) then refused to push more. The hand pumps leaked at about the same.
What Is the prefered high pressure fill method and what device is recommended?
I'm thinking a pressure tank, like the paint guns use 3000psi small tanks, even two if I need more volume for more launches. But I'm not sure what to use to regulate it down. The paint guns use about 400psi I think, but I'd still need something to dial it down from there.
Any advice would be great...thanks
We have a 110V Campbell Hausfield compressor from Wal-Mart that routinely works to the maximum on the gauge (200PSI). As long as we let it cool between uses it never fails. It was $20 on sale a couple years ago.

The problem with tanks is the cost of getting them refilled. It's not worth the trouble if you have to keep paying to fill them and cart them back and forth to and from the filling station.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by longpaddle »

Thanks guys. That is just what I did. I found a Campbell and Hausfield at my local home depot. Rated to 230psi, it is a rechargable unit so it's completely portable. It managed a couple of 100psi launches on the weekend with no problem. Looks like it will be my soultion to get 120-140psi. My launcher crumpled under the extra pressure and needs a little work now.
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by longpaddle »

Just an update on my rechargeable Campbell Hausfield portable compressor. It run on a NiCad 12v battery and works pretty good. However it struggles to get anything over 130psi even with a full charge in the battery.
The other issue is battery memory, if you charge it and don't fully discharge it before chargin it again, you will not get the full life out of the battery and it quickly becomes unusable.
The other option I picked up was the Topeak Joe Blow Ace with the smarthead. This is a 3 stage hand floor pump rated to 260psi.
I'm amazed how fast I can get a 6liter rocket to 120psi by hand. It's expensive, I paid $100 through my local bike shop, but very well made and outstanding performance.
I'm now using the combo, the Campbell portable pump to get it to 100psi and the hand pump to top it off to whatever I want. :mrgreen:
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

I've had a lot of luck of with a good quality bike pump, too. Mine is made by axiom, and has seen a lot of use. I've pumped rockets up to 200 psi with it. I'm only about 170 lbs, so I have to use a little momentum on each stroke to get the pressure that high. I've also made some hand pumps from scratch with smaller diameter barrels so you can achieve higher pressure. I still haven't done any launches with them, but I'm hoping to get around to that next year.

Alex
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

longpaddle wrote:Just an update on my rechargeable Campbell Hausfield portable compressor. It run on a NiCad 12v battery and works pretty good. However it struggles to get anything over 130psi even with a full charge in the battery.
The other issue is battery memory, if you charge it and don't fully discharge it before chargin it again, you will not get the full life out of the battery and it quickly becomes unusable.
The other option I picked up was the Topeak Joe Blow Ace with the smarthead. This is a 3 stage hand floor pump rated to 260psi.
I'm amazed how fast I can get a 6liter rocket to 120psi by hand. It's expensive, I paid $100 through my local bike shop, but very well made and outstanding performance.
I'm now using the combo, the Campbell portable pump to get it to 100psi and the hand pump to top it off to whatever I want. :mrgreen:
You should try and get a motorcycle or tractor battery (lead acid) and use that in place of the NiCad. Perhaps the best bet would be a water craft deep cycle marine battery. You will get a lot longer use from it and you can charge it with a cheap car battery charger between uses.
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by longpaddle »

Great suggestion. Prior I had to lug all my gear to a field from a parking spot. However my new launch site allows me to drive right up.
Not so safe for my truck.. but much better for my back.
I'll look into a good 12v deep cycle to use, of course that adds to costs.
Since the purchase of the Joe blow Ace hand pump I can never decide whether to bring the portable pump at all.. makes me feel lazy.
It is my recommendation that anyone starting out with water rockets, skips the cheap junk and spend the money on a good hand pump.
Bypass a few frustrating launch days.
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

longpaddle wrote:Great suggestion. Prior I had to lug all my gear to a field from a parking spot. However my new launch site allows me to drive right up.
Not so safe for my truck.. but much better for my back.
I'll look into a good 12v deep cycle to use, of course that adds to costs.
Since the purchase of the Joe blow Ace hand pump I can never decide whether to bring the portable pump at all.. makes me feel lazy.
It is my recommendation that anyone starting out with water rockets, skips the cheap junk and spend the money on a good hand pump.
Bypass a few frustrating launch days.
That's cool. You're the best person to know what the best pump is for your particular situation. Good advice!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
NautilusRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by NautilusRockets »

We use a SKS Airbase Pro rated at 232psi and a Topeak JoeBlow Ace rated at 260psi. We have tested the Topeak to 300+psi and the Airbase to 250+psi. Both have worked beautifully for us. We routinely use them together on a manifold along with a high cfm 135psi compressor for pressure testing.

SKS Airbase Pro - http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=prod ... BASE%20PRO
Topeak JoeBlow Ace - http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowAce

Marc
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

MarcTolbert wrote:We use a SKS Airbase Pro rated at 232psi and a Topeak JoeBlow Ace rated at 260psi. We have tested the Topeak to 300+psi and the Airbase to 250+psi. Both have worked beautifully for us. We routinely use them together on a manifold along with a high cfm 135psi compressor for pressure testing.

SKS Airbase Pro - http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=prod ... BASE%20PRO
Topeak JoeBlow Ace - http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowAce

Marc
Thanks for sharing your experiences with those pumps. One question that comes to mind is how much maintenance that those pumps require after use? Do they need to be cleaned out and lubricated, or are they pretty much maintenance free?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
NautilusRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

So far we have used the SKS Airbase Pro and Topeak JoeBlow Ace for a little over six months and they have both been maintenance free.

Marc Tolbert - Nautilus Rockets
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

MarcTolbert wrote:So far we have used the SKS Airbase Pro and Topeak JoeBlow Ace for a little over six months and they have both been maintenance free.

Hi Marc,

Do you need to drain condensation from either pump. The shop compressor we use needs to be drained periodically or it fills with icky PU: water.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
NautilusRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

WRA2 wrote:
MarcTolbert wrote:So far we have used the SKS Airbase Pro and Topeak JoeBlow Ace for a little over six months and they have both been maintenance free.

Hi Marc,

Do you need to drain condensation from either pump. The shop compressor we use needs to be drained periodically or it fills with icky PU: water.
In a shop compressor moisture builds in the reservoir tanks the SKS and Topeak are traditional bicycle style pumps without a reservoir and moisture buildup is not normally a problem.

As a precaution I do pump each a few times after we are done using them for the day to clear any possible moisture in the attached hoses. We also purge the tanks and hoses on our shop style compressors when we are done with them each day.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

That's great information! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page