Aluminum Launch Pad Plans

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
sdpurr

Aluminum Launch Pad Plans

Post by sdpurr »

Hello,

Does any one have a set of plans for an Aluminum launcher ?

I have access to someone for has there onw lathe and is willing to make me a launcher but needs plan to undertake this work.

Please help.

Tahnks
Sdpurr
air.command

Re: Aluminum Launch Pad Plans

Post by air.command »

sdpurr wrote:Hello,

Does any one have a set of plans for an Aluminum launcher ?

I have access to someone for has there onw lathe and is willing to make me a launcher but needs plan to undertake this work.

Please help.

Tahnks
Sdpurr
What kind of requirements do you have for your launcher? There is a very wide range of launcher types to choose from. You need to decide on the type and size of rockets you want to launch, choose which nozzles and guide rails you'd like to use, whether you use a launch tube, and what the targetted launch pressures are. All these will influence the design of a launcher. In general though you don't need a lathe to make a launcher.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
marksmandcs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by marksmandcs »

I made mine out of aluminum on the lathe years ago. I've made several of these to sell locally and kept one for myself. I don't know where the drawings are for the parts since its been years since i've made one. I probably lost them. All i have is a JPEG image to show you. The most critical dimension is the o-ring groove diameter. That is what determines the %squeeze of the o-ring and how tight the o-ring will hold the rocket. Too much squeeze and the rocket won't launch at low pressure, too little and you get leaks and no rocket support. I think i had a 0.669" diameter groove and a #114 o-ring. Thats a 3/32" width, 13/16" OD ring. A weird combination i know. The plug that holds the o-rings is well under the size of the nozzle as to avoid scratches. The zip ties are held with a clamp so they can be changed out. The strings that pull the locking ring go through the zip tie spacer/blast sheid and then go through the eye-bolts. You are welcome to use what little i could provide to make your own designs. I should have a picture attached below. I use three o-rings.
Attachments
CAD drawing of aluminum launcher
CAD drawing of aluminum launcher
AluminumLauncher.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

That looks like a very good and simple design.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
marksmandcs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by marksmandcs »

I found some pictures of the launchers.
launcher 011.jpg
launcher 011.jpg (859.26 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Attachments
launcher 010.jpg
launcher 010.jpg (950.89 KiB) Viewed 152 times
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

:cl:
That looks very impressive!
Did you use a lathe to make the parts?
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
marksmandcs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by marksmandcs »

Yes. I have an old lathe that my grandfather bought right after WW2.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

marksmandcs wrote:I made mine out of aluminum on the lathe years ago. I've made several of these to sell locally and kept one for myself. I don't know where the drawings are for the parts since its been years since i've made one. I probably lost them. All i have is a JPEG image to show you. The most critical dimension is the o-ring groove diameter. That is what determines the %squeeze of the o-ring and how tight the o-ring will hold the rocket. Too much squeeze and the rocket won't launch at low pressure, too little and you get leaks and no rocket support. I think i had a 0.669" diameter groove and a #114 o-ring. Thats a 3/32" width, 13/16" OD ring. A weird combination i know. The plug that holds the o-rings is well under the size of the nozzle as to avoid scratches. The zip ties are held with a clamp so they can be changed out. The strings that pull the locking ring go through the zip tie spacer/blast sheid and then go through the eye-bolts. You are welcome to use what little i could provide to make your own designs. I should have a picture attached below. I use three o-rings.
That's a very nicely engineered launcher you have made there. It is very impressive looking. Is there a reason besides how cool it looks for the small air inlet holes in the bottle? Could that be for foam generation or something?

Nicely done!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
marksmandcs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by marksmandcs »

The small holes serve the purpose of keeping the water in the rocket using water tension. I had a check valve built into one earlier launcher that prevented water from flowing into my air lines but it also kept me from de-pressurizing the rocket when there was a problem. I then used a fine steel mesh screen out of a sink faucet that was sufficient enough to kept water from running into the air lines. The next attempt was these small holes, which used water tension to keep water in the rocket. Of course, the air line pressure would have to be held constant. In the case of an emergency, the rocket could still be de-pressurized easily. I would recommend a cloth screen as a good alternative to thee methods.