Let's get creative here.

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Let's get creative here.

Post by Nick B »

Anybody have a fantasy launcher or next upgrade launcher they wanted to build but never got around to it?

I'm tired of my launcher tilting small amounts when I launch, using weight, ground spikes/stakes, ect.

I like the swanky HP rocketry stands that the KNO and the APCP guyz use, but they are not really well applied to water rockets.

I'm thinking about building a new launcher out of several 4" dia by 3' long PCV tubes capped and ganged together, an angle adjustable launch tube, maybe some fake wheels or tank tracks, fake blast deflector and maybe a folding launch rail for looks and incase I need it in the future.

Anybody have a spare no expense, or fantasy launcher they had in mind? :mrgreen:
Nick and Dad B.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Let's get creative here.

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Nick B wrote:Anybody have a fantasy launcher or next upgrade launcher they wanted to build but never got around to it?

I'm tired of my launcher tilting small amounts when I launch, using weight, ground spikes/stakes, ect.

I like the swanky HP rocketry stands that the KNO and the APCP guyz use, but they are not really well applied to water rockets.

I'm thinking about building a new launcher out of several 4" dia by 3' long PCV tubes capped and ganged together, an angle adjustable launch tube, maybe some fake wheels or tank tracks, fake blast deflector and maybe a folding launch rail for looks and incase I need it in the future.

Anybody have a spare no expense, or fantasy launcher they had in mind? :mrgreen:

We built a new launcher out of 1-3/4" PVC pipe to replace our wooden launcher. It is infinitely adjustable and contains internal ballast so that we do not have to stack rocket on it to hold it in position. It comes apart in sections for easy modification but it folds completely flat for transport. It was designed and 90% completed about 5 years ago, but never completed until the project was picked back up last summer.
Attachments
Launcher.jpg
Launcher.jpg (160.21 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: We built a new launcher out of 1-3/4" PVC pipe to replace our wooden launcher. It is infinitely adjustable and contains internal ballast so that we do not have to stack rocket on it to hold it in position. It comes apart in sections for easy modification but it folds completely flat for transport. It was designed and 90% completed about 5 years ago, but never completed until the project was picked back up last summer.

RO:

look at them lines kick from the launch.
Like angry steel cable. :D

Cool stuff.
Nick and Dad B.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

I'm halfway done with a steel pipe launcher assy. made from 3/4 inch pipe, 3 feet across and and will use a sprinkler valve, or pull pin, adjustable angle launch tube. That way I will have the option of launching conventionally with rocket pressure in the pipes, or I can shoot it off with 200/300/1000/2200 psi in the pipes. (sprinkler valve prob wont stand pressure above 300 psi tho :( ) I don't reinforce my bottles yet, so it will be interesting to see how the standard pet bottles do getting cannoned off at 300psi. :D

I'm gonna be very happy having a heavier launcher with an adjustable launch tube. :D
Nick and Dad B.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Nick B wrote:Anybody have a fantasy launcher or next upgrade launcher they wanted to build but never got around to it?

We built a new launcher out of 1-3/4" PVC pipe to replace our wooden launcher. It is infinitely adjustable and contains internal ballast so that we do not have to stack rocket on it to hold it in position. It comes apart in sections for easy modification but it folds completely flat for transport. It was designed and 90% completed about 5 years ago, but never completed until the project was picked back up last summer.

What's the purpose of the short upper cross pipes?
Nick and Dad B.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Nick B wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: We built a new launcher out of 1-3/4" PVC pipe to replace our wooden launcher. It is infinitely adjustable and contains internal ballast so that we do not have to stack rocket on it to hold it in position. It comes apart in sections for easy modification but it folds completely flat for transport. It was designed and 90% completed about 5 years ago, but never completed until the project was picked back up last summer.

RO:

look at them lines kick from the launch.
Like angry steel cable. :D

Cool stuff.

That's more due to the hard yank the rope was given. Adrenaline at launch time can exaggerate things a bit. :lol:
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Nick B wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

What's the purpose of the short upper cross pipes?

It's an easy place to hang things that detect launch. For example a string to toggle the servo deploy system launch detect loops over the crossmember. We just tie slip knots on the string so it can be set up and removed easily. Looping it around the closed rectangle of the base means it needs to be cut or completely untied to take off.

We learned when we created the removable launch tube system that you can't tie things to the base of the launcher and take advantage of the portability the idea offered.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Yeah.

My next step will be altering my new and old launcher for thread in launch tubes. I need longer ones for my FTCs and and shorter one for my pressure tests, for adhesives and laminating, when I use very small bottles.
Nick and Dad B.