Gardena socket adapter

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Gardena socket adapter

Post by Rocket_Scientist »

Hi all!

After tramping around all 3 big box home improvement centers, I was able to find a nifty 3/4 NPT female X GHT female brass fitting for $1.59 at Addison Building Supply, near O'Hare Airport. The SKU barcode is 719852936992, which is available all over the place, including Amazon. It is not perfect, because it is knurled and round.

I can screw this onto my Gilmour (Gardena copy by Robert Bosch) and I am good to go without a ton of epoxy and other goop. My Gilmour has lifetime replacement, but also a 60 psi warning.

I found a few other fittings that might work a even better because they are smaller pipe threads at McMaster-Carr, such as 73605T65. They are hex fittings, or at least have flats for wrenches. Gotta love their 250 psi rating.

WIsh me luck as I get started on launcher#1!
RocketScientist
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Gardena socket adapter

Post by RocketScientist »

Have you visited aircommandrockets.com? I think they posted a tutorial for a launcher similar to the one you requested. Good luck on building your first launcher, and I am currently in search for building a launcher, and I've never built one before.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Well, I must say my Gardena launcher is a success.

I made an aircommand.com style 2liter rocket, with a ring fin.
I used a second 2liter for a top section, with three inches of pool noodle for a bumper. No parachute.

There was some monkeying with the male gardena to get it to click tight with the bottle cap in place.

I think it cost me about
$5 for PVC
$10 for 50' hose
$5 for gardenas
$5 for other fittings
$3 for 75' cord

I am very happy with it.

Next launcher improvement is a valve to isolate the 50' line from the rocket. This should reduce the air used per launch. Also, an abort valve would be a good idea.

Next rocket improvement: better fin alignment, and less mass in the nose.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

good job. TI:

whatchadoin for a launch rail?
Nick and Dad B.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Actually went commando on that one.

The setup is a bit shaky without a launch rail, I must admit.

Aircommand recommends three rods arranged in a triangle.

I did my launcher without a base plate. I just made a big H on the ground, with a TEE in the center, pointing vertical.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Rocket_Scientist wrote: The setup is a bit shaky without a launch rail, I must admit.

yikes..

I imagine soo.... LA:
Nick and Dad B.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Rocket_Scientist wrote:
I did my launcher without a base plate. I just made a big H on the ground, with a TEE in the center, pointing vertical.

That's about what I have for most of my simple launches.

An H frame set up to launch both full bore and Gardena/QDC nozzles.
I just use spikes to retain it to the ground, and have a long fiberglass rod or steel rod I shove in the ground for the gardena launches.
Nick and Dad B.