Launcher Rigidity/Stiffness (US Rockets1)

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Launcher Rigidity/Stiffness (US Rockets1)

Post by T86157 »

Instead of making a new thread I will ask here:

In regards to the launcher here found here (http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm), how is the vertical portion of the launcher able to stay up? I see you have the U-bolts fastened down to the PVC fittings but do the bumps on the fittings able to secure it strongly with a fueled T6 - T10 FTC rocket sitting on the launch tube? That is one issue with my designing aspect since the majority of the launch tube is not reinforced structurally but within the FTC; a higher center of gravity than I would feel comfortable with...
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Launcher Rigidity/Stiffness (US Rockets1)

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

T86157 wrote:Instead of making a new thread I will ask here:

In regards to the launcher here found here (http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... al.htm[url][/url]), how is the vertical portion of the launcher able to stay up? I see you have the U-bolts fastened down to the PVC fittings but do the bumps on the fittings able to secure it strongly with a fueled T6 - T10 FTC rocket sitting on the launch tube? That is one issue with my designing aspect since the majority of the launch tube is not reinforced structurally but within the FTC; a higher center of gravity than I would feel comfortable with...
There are molded bumps on the threaded PVC fittings which prevent the pipe from rotating. We also made a few of these launchers with fittings that have a hexagonal shape so they have flat sides and we lined them up to sit flat to the board and that style does a really nice job of being very solid. We made those with a slightly larger footprint (longer boards for added stability). There was no "blueprint" for them, so each batch would be a little different than the others.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison