Pressure limit?

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
RocketScientist
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Pressure limit?

Post by RocketScientist »

How much pressure can a 2-liter bottle withstand? What is the maximum and minimum number of psi?
Azriel
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pressure limit?

Post by Azriel »

That's a bit of a loaded question. The typical value is around 120psi, but any imperfection in the bottle will drop that number to closer to 100psi or even lower. Likewise, if you get thicker 2 liters from certain manufacturers(in my experience generic brands tend to make their bottles slightly thicker than name brands) it may be able to withstand pressures closer to 130 or even 140psi, though always expect the pressure to blow at the lowest expected value. Otherwise you may end up in a pitfall where you anticipate a bottle holding high pressures and it just blows up in your face. IIRC air.command tested 2 liters to about 115 with no reinforcement, though I could be wrong. Best bet is to check their site out, as they have done some extensive testing on this matter
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pressure limit?

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Azriel wrote:That's a bit of a loaded question. The typical value is around 120psi, but any imperfection in the bottle will drop that number to closer to 100psi or even lower. Likewise, if you get thicker 2 liters from certain manufacturers(in my experience generic brands tend to make their bottles slightly thicker than name brands) it may be able to withstand pressures closer to 130 or even 140psi, though always expect the pressure to blow at the lowest expected value. Otherwise you may end up in a pitfall where you anticipate a bottle holding high pressures and it just blows up in your face. IIRC air.command tested 2 liters to about 115 with no reinforcement, though I could be wrong. Best bet is to check their site out, as they have done some extensive testing on this matter
The generic brands locally have plain bottles and the brand names come in stylish bottles with all kinds of textures and shapes molded in. The generic bottles hold 120PSI reliably every time. The textured brand names with their fancy shapes seem to fail at 110.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison