Water propelled glider

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Jitish Miglani

Water propelled glider

Post by Jitish Miglani »

:W
Does anyone have any idea Hw to make water propelled glider??
:?:
Azriel
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water propelled glider

Post by Azriel »

Same basic method as a water rocket, but with wings and 'belly' ballast instead of fins and recovery mechanism.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Do you have and questions in particular.
What sort of glider are you thinking of?
Theres a rocket designed to glide http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=427
A glider with a rocket strapped to it http://www.charlesriverrc.org/media/199 ... ocket2.htm
It can be as simple as this http://users.hubwest.com/gordo/waterroc ... #Calistoga It actually works very well, I had a rocket glide very far when one of the fins broke.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jitish Miglani wrote::W
Does anyone have any idea Hw to make water propelled glider??
:?:
The concept that we have experimented with uses a fabric wing like a hang glider in place of the parachute. The wing is hinged at the front to allow it to fold and fit inside the rocket. This is not quite the same as the typical rocket powered glider which uses a fixed wing and fuselage.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
alan-c

Post by alan-c »

I built a water rocket glider using 2l bottles for the NPL competition, the glider and rocket both flew ok separately but not together. The thrust was below the drag c/line so it just went around in a big loop - so make sure that the thrust is aligned with the drag c/line. The glider was a canard so that the c.g. of the rocket more or less matched the c.g. of the glider. When I test glided the combined glider/rocket the glide angle wasn't too brilliant due to the drag of the rocket "fuselage". I hope this helps,
Alan
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

alan-c wrote:I built a water rocket glider using 2l bottles for the NPL competition, the glider and rocket both flew ok separately but not together. The thrust was below the drag c/line so it just went around in a big loop - so make sure that the thrust is aligned with the drag c/line. The glider was a canard so that the c.g. of the rocket more or less matched the c.g. of the glider. When I test glided the combined glider/rocket the glide angle wasn't too brilliant due to the drag of the rocket "fuselage". I hope this helps,
Alan
If you used a restricted nozzle on the rocket engine, could you get the thrust down low enough that you could compensate for the off axis thrust using control surfaces? It seems that this would be possible, depending on the plane's configuration.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
alan-c

Post by alan-c »

I used a 12mm nozzle in the water rocket glider and it still looped. I suppose that with practice it could have been controlled by holding the elevator stick forward - it was radio controlled - but i didn't get any further with that project. If I knew how to post images I have one photo of the WRG which I could post here.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

alan-c wrote:I used a 12mm nozzle in the water rocket glider and it still looped. I suppose that with practice it could have been controlled by holding the elevator stick forward - it was radio controlled - but i didn't get any further with that project. If I knew how to post images I have one photo of the WRG which I could post here.
Upload the image as an attachment (at the bottom of the posting page you will see an attachment control panel called "upload attachment") which can be used to upload images.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
alan-c

Post by alan-c »

wra2 admin, thanks for help, water rocket glider picture attached:
Sorry the pic is so large. Rudder/elevator r/c/control, full span flaps activated at max height (it was for the duration contest), about 42" span, 4 x 2l bottles joined base to top so very long. Rocket on its own flew the whole length of the NPL pitch in (I think) 8 seconds ballistic flight. Oh yes, bottles reinforced with glass fibre tape. Might have worked fine with more development.
Attachments
DSC03055.JPG
DSC03055.JPG (1011.16 KiB) Viewed 65 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

alan-c wrote:wra2 admin, thanks for help, water rocket glider picture attached:
Sorry the pic is so large. Rudder/elevator r/c/control, full span flaps activated at max height (it was for the duration contest), about 42" span, 4 x 2l bottles joined base to top so very long. Rocket on its own flew the whole length of the NPL pitch in (I think) 8 seconds ballistic flight. Oh yes, bottles reinforced with glass fibre tape. Might have worked fine with more development.
That looks awesome! Nice work on the rocket glider!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
alan-c

Post by alan-c »

Thanks for the nice comment! One last bit of trivia - the servo bodies are under the cockpit canopy with the servo arms and the whole linkage to rudder and elevator within the fuselage. I think it would have been better with the wing beneath the bottles, as shown in a video in a previous post in this thread. OP, have a go!