Portable Launcher Project

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Portable Launcher Project

Post by bugwubber »

nunopt wrote:Many thanks for your great suggestions posted here!

Unfortunately local stores give me limited options, nevertheless instead of the pvc tube I decided to use a fiber reinforced hose with a pvc tube outside. To fix the bike valve I was going to use a clamp but I saw another part that gave me an idea, it was a cable gland and I gave it a try. The bike valve fits very well inside the gland and I screw it to the hose ( :? not the best solution .. but just to try).

It worked at 70 and 100psi .. but was loosing 1-2psi/min through the screw zone. So I assembly it again using glue and after repeating the two 15 min tests, was loosing only 0-0,2psi/min. I think I have a launcher :D

Afterwards just did a few improvements on it and now I have to build a rocket to launch. I still do not have one .. :razz:
Congrats! Good job on finding a work around to limited options. I know I've left my local hardware guys scratching their heads more than a few times. Good luck on your rocket build!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Portable Launcher Project

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

nunopt wrote:Many thanks for your great suggestions posted here!

Unfortunately local stores give me limited options, nevertheless instead of the pvc tube I decided to use a fiber reinforced hose with a pvc tube outside. To fix the bike valve I was going to use a clamp but I saw another part that gave me an idea, it was a cable gland and I gave it a try. The bike valve fits very well inside the gland and I screw it to the hose ( :? not the best solution .. but just to try).

It worked at 70 and 100psi .. but was loosing 1-2psi/min through the screw zone. So I assembly it again using glue and after repeating the two 15 min tests, was loosing only 0-0,2psi/min. I think I have a launcher :D

Afterwards just did a few improvements on it and now I have to build a rocket to launch. I still do not have one .. :razz:

Your cable gland looks a bit like another idea we used in the past when we didn't have any end caps and didn't have time to go the store. We had a reducer fitting that had 1/2" threads on one side and 1/4" threads on the other. The tire valve would fit inside the half inch side and the rubber flange that goes into the rim was too fat to pass out the 1/4 inch side, so it worked pretty well in a pinch and didn't look like there was any way it would come apart.

Plus, the more pressure that was put in, the tighter it would make itself.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison