Looking for the supplier of THIS

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Matt

Looking for the supplier of THIS

Post by Matt »

face.JPG
face.JPG (10.27 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Hi guys

I have been launching water rockets for public outreach and on my own for ~10 years, but this is my first visit here.
My question is: I am looking for the supplier of this kind of launcher-to-bottle connector. Guy who supplied me the launcher told me to "look up on Google", yeah, thanks for the help.

I am looking for one of these because they allow to make a water rocket just with bottles, with no connector to the rocket itself (it is important to us since with "public" launches, peopls will want to keep their rocket, or they will end up in a tree or on a rooftop, and we want to keep the price down).

So, anybody knows who makes these, or who makes something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Matt

Re: Looking for the supplier of THIS

Post by Matt »

profil.JPG
profil.JPG (14.87 KiB) Viewed 110 times
another pic from another angle...
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Matt wrote:
profil.JPG
another pic from another angle...
Hey Matt, welcome to the forum. Not sure who makes that particular fitting but you can make your own out of 2 pieces of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC, 1 2" long piece of 1/2" CPVC, and a "-208" DN70 o-ring (aka #94).

The CPVC should fit inside the PVC, with the PVC spaced 1/8" apart for the oring. USWR posted a nice tutorial on it in the How To forum:
http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=270

What are you hooking it up to?

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks bugwubber. I live in France so I am not sure I can find PVC in Imperial measurements. At the bottom of the launcher is a plain vanilla Schrader valve. We make rockets with 1,5 or 2L pop bottles. The OD is 21-22mm (don't have a caliper at hand) and we manage to place an 11 or 12 "sized" plumbing o-ring. Does that answer your question?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Sure does thanks! Do you have to cut the o-ring groove?

That's a nice and simple arrangement.

Good luck in your search.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Matt wrote:
face.JPG
Hi guys

I have been launching water rockets for public outreach and on my own for ~10 years, but this is my first visit here.
My question is: I am looking for the supplier of this kind of launcher-to-bottle connector. Guy who supplied me the launcher told me to "look up on Google", yeah, thanks for the help.

I am looking for one of these because they allow to make a water rocket just with bottles, with no connector to the rocket itself (it is important to us since with "public" launches, peopls will want to keep their rocket, or they will end up in a tree or on a rooftop, and we want to keep the price down).

So, anybody knows who makes these, or who makes something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That's a launcher type we have never seen before. Was this custom made or was it part of some mass produced launcher setup? If you don't mind explaining in more detail, what would hold the bottles down onto the launcher in this system?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Matt

Post by Matt »

The best I can do is show a picture we made for the website:
http://www.montreur-etoiles.fr/fusees_presentation.pdf

basically all you have is a Schrader adapter to connect to the bike pump, a wooden board with a couple sideboards acting as legs, and that, well, thing.

I guess it was not custom made ; my predecessor found the supplier online, but that was about 10 years ago. He bought three or four and they still work very well; you just have to replace the o-rings when they start wearing out. We would also have to swap between 11- and 12-size rings because depending on weather conditions they will be more or less dilated, and hold on to the rocket more or less.

So what holds the rocket to the launcher is the O-ring itself : we stick it inside of the neck of the bottle. There is no specific nozzle, just the bottleneck. The friction holds the rocket to the launch pad; liftoff occurs when the pressure inside the bottle is stronger than the friction.

Pro: super simple and fail-safe, esp. during events where we may have just a few minutes to setup, and zero turn-around time if something goes wrong.
Con: If the o-ring is too small / not dilated enough, the rocket will not stick well and take off too early; if it is too large, well, you can reach pressures of up to 150 psi and it still does not launch, so you try to abort in some way (we've never had an accident, but are in no rush for that). Anyway when we've had super-high pressure launches, the water comes out in explosive fashion and it does not fly very high.

The other con is that you never know for sure when liftoff will occur, aside from a slight quivering of the bottle just seconds before.
Matt

Post by Matt »

and yes they came pre-grooved for the o-ring. The material appears to be milled nylon.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Matt wrote:and yes they came pre-grooved for the o-ring. The material appears to be milled nylon.

Would you say these parts are some kind of "hand made" water rocket part? If it is milled nylon, it does not sound like it would be mass produced. Is it possible that someone was kind of turning these things on a lathe in their basement, and then selling them to the public to make a quick buck? A real molded part would be something that you could be more likely to find available from multiple sources, since a mold is expensive. If these are just hand made pieces someone was selling then you would need to know who made them and contact them to see if they can make you more.

You can also try and get in touch with the person who made them and see if they can give you the dimension drawings, and then you can probably get someone else to make them for you.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison