Gardena Manufacturers?

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Gardena Manufacturers?

Post by Rocket_Scientist »

Hi guys.

Are there any pros / cons to using one over the other?

Gardena

Gilmour

Claber
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Gardena Manufacturers?

Post by Blenderite »

Welcome to the forums!!!

Personally, I have only ever used the Gilmour quick connects because they are all the my local hardware stores carry! Personally, I don't like the idea of paying a bunch of shipping to get Gardena quick connects from Europe. I have never even heard of the Claber brand. You can try them. I doubt there is much functional difference between the brands. The one thing to look out for is to find the one that makes the best water and pressure proof seal. That is very important. Also, for smaller rockets, I would go with the plastic nozzles.

FYI, by using these types of nozzles you will need to either keep your rockets relatively light or use high pressure (over 80 psi). The reason is that these nozzles are reduced nozzles, they produce less thrust than a full bore rocket will. Therefor they accelerate at a slower rate. If you have a heavy rocket, or use low pressure, there is a high chance that the rocket will not go straight up, because the rocket doesn't have enough acceleration to stay upright. I have had heavy rockets go horizontal when using these reduced nozzles, not fun.

Have fun, be safe!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DogLover wrote:Welcome to the forums!!!

Personally, I have only ever used the Gilmour quick connects because they are all the my local hardware stores carry! Personally, I don't like the idea of paying a bunch of shipping to get Gardena quick connects from Europe. I have never even heard of the Claber brand. You can try them. I doubt there is much functional difference between the brands. The one thing to look out for is to find the one that makes the best water and pressure proof seal. That is very important. Also, for smaller rockets, I would go with the plastic nozzles.

FYI, by using these types of nozzles you will need to either keep your rockets relatively light or use high pressure (over 80 psi). The reason is that these nozzles are reduced nozzles, they produce less thrust than a full bore rocket will. Therefor they accelerate at a slower rate. If you have a heavy rocket, or use low pressure, there is a high chance that the rocket will not go straight up, because the rocket doesn't have enough acceleration to stay upright. I have had heavy rockets go horizontal when using these reduced nozzles, not fun.

Have fun, be safe!

Does anyone make a connect that has bearings in the latch instead of the plastic tabs? Years ago there were some made in the USA that had a teflon or nylon bearing mechanism. This was back like 20 years ago when people used them to connect hoses together and not for water rockets.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Does anyone make a connect that has bearings in the latch instead of the plastic tabs? Years ago there were some made in the USA that had a teflon or nylon bearing mechanism. This was back like 20 years ago when people used them to connect hoses together and not for water rockets.
Do you mean something like this?
Attachments
geka.jpeg
geka.jpeg (343.44 KiB) Viewed 46 times
geka2.jpeg
geka2.jpeg (111.2 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

arjan wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Does anyone make a connect that has bearings in the latch instead of the plastic tabs? Years ago there were some made in the USA that had a teflon or nylon bearing mechanism. This was back like 20 years ago when people used them to connect hoses together and not for water rockets.
Do you mean something like this?
There is nothing like that in our local hardware stores. Does that accept the same plastic fittings that everyone uses, or does it require a special metal male part in order to work properly?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Yes they accept the standard 9mm gardena fittings.
Do you want to exchange for PLP. :lol:
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com