Booster and Launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Booster and Launcher

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Do you think the launcher that US water rockets shows how to make is good. I have one similar. And for a booster rocket one with boosters do the boosters have to put out more thrust or the main rocket just weight more?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Booster and Launcher

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Do you think the launcher that US water rockets shows how to make is good. I have one similar. And for a booster rocket one with boosters do the boosters have to put out more thrust or the main rocket just weight more?
You can't go by weight or thrust for that. You have to go by weight and thrust together over time, and that's acceleration. The easy way to make this calculation is to simulate a booster as if it were a single stage and then simulate the sustainer as a single stage. If the sustainer has a greater acceleration than the booster at any point during the booster thrust phase, then you will have a problem with the boosters falling off when still powered.

I've not seen the U.S Waterrockets booster rocket or launcher, so I can't say that it is any good or not. I need to look into it but couldn't find anything about it.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

They don't have a booster rocket but they do have a launcher. The launcher part of my question was seperate. It was about how to construct a launcher. http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:They don't have a booster rocket but they do have a launcher. The launcher part of my question was seperate. It was about how to construct a launcher. http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
That looks like a really well engineered launcher mechanism. Since it seems to work on their carbon rockets with huge pressures, I can't imagine you being able to make a rocket that would break it. Why didn't anyone think of this design ever before?
Bill W.
Team Seneca
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Team Seneca wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:They don't have a booster rocket but they do have a launcher. The launcher part of my question was seperate. It was about how to construct a launcher. http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
That looks like a really well engineered launcher mechanism. Since it seems to work on their carbon rockets with huge pressures, I can't imagine you being able to make a rocket that would break it. Why didn't anyone think of this design ever before?
Thatnks, Bill. But remember: we have no idea what the limit to the design is. It should be proportional to the number of cable ties and the strength of each one. It should be more than capable of holding down a cluster rocket.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thatnks, Bill. But remember: we have no idea what the limit to the design is. It should be proportional to the number of cable ties and the strength of each one. It should be more than capable of holding down a cluster rocket.[/quote]

I have made mine with pulleys and the clamp method and I have drilled holes for stakes and also made the launch tube interchangeable.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thatnks, Bill. But remember: we have no idea what the limit to the design is. It should be proportional to the number of cable ties and the strength of each one. It should be more than capable of holding down a cluster rocket.[/quote]

I have made mine with pulleys and the clamp method and I have drilled holes for stakes and also made the launch tube interchangeable.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

Well, usually boosters are used for foaming rockets because these kinds of rockets produce lesser than normal thrust. So boosters are used to get it up to speed.
Try checking Air Command for tips.
www.aircommandrockets.com
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous