Widemouth Launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Widemouth Launcher

Post by bugwubber »

The metal tube is 30mm OD with 1mm wall by the way.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Wow so the bottle has a big nozzle. That might be useful in a fully spliced rocket with no couplings or a very heavy rocket like George Katz big rocket.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:....very heavy rocket like George Katz big rocket.
Rockets like those should not be built or flown without a "high power" certification and should always be flown only at "launch meets" that have the necessary permits and permissions to launch "high power" rockets.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Wow so the bottle has a big nozzle. That might be useful in a fully spliced rocket with no couplings or a very heavy rocket like George Katz big rocket.
streamlined and narrow as possible since liftoff speed would be much higher.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

But at the same time, if your not going for altitude then it works for them, It seems to me like they'll never be satisfied until they launch a car!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Finally, a test launch!

First, he final form of the launcher. I switched to steel pipe, and made it a drop in, plug-and-play add on to my existing launcher.
I also added a water feed side with a 200psi backflow preventer.
CAM00918.jpg
CAM00918.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 16 times
CAM00916.jpg
CAM00916.jpg (4.85 MiB) Viewed 16 times
CAM00911_8669.jpg
CAM00911_8669.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 16 times
The release is based on USWR's split collar locking pliers release. I made it with a lightweight locking clamp that is glued to the locking collar. The release collar is only cut through completely on one side so it won't fall off the launcher when it slips off the rocket.
CAM00922.jpg
CAM00922.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 16 times
CAM00911_4765.jpg
CAM00911_4765.jpg (133.25 KiB) Viewed 16 times
First test was to 60 psi. No leaks detected.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Hey Bugwubber!

Nice work on the Split Collar Launcher! If you're flown many launches with it, you will see how much easier it is to operate than sliding collar launchers. That design should be good enough to work with several hundred PSI should you decide to get into higher pressures. If you go farther than that, you should check the specs on the pliers to make sure you don't exceed the clamp rating.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Ye USWR, your clamp idea has been great. I have been using it for several months now and it works fine with the max of 285 psi I have tried. The real thing that works best, is holding the wire ties down with a hose clamp. The strength of those clamps are amazing and that relieves the clamp from doing all the work. The only problem is that I could find a clamp like yours so mine wasn't wide enough and I couldn't use the rubber. Also the plastic PVC doesn't like to adhere to well. I have found that wire ties make the bond much stronger!

Thanks for your hard work and research. It pays off!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Hey Bugwubber!

Nice work on the Split Collar Launcher! If you're flown many launches with it, you will see how much easier it is to operate than sliding collar launchers. That design should be good enough to work with several hundred PSI should you decide to get into higher pressures. If you go farther than that, you should check the specs on the pliers to make sure you don't exceed the clamp rating.
Thanks and thank you for the idea btw. The funny thing is, I've never made or used a sliding collar. So I only have the latch bar style release
CAM00847.jpg
CAM00847.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 12 times
(Which is going to be very hard to beat for ease of use, but is limited in psi)

and of course the notched release bar of the derby launcher.

As far as high end I don't have any plans to exceed 150 for the forseeable future. If I did hp, I wouldn't bother testing the clamp- I'd switch to metal.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The one I use is a metal type Vice-Grip original brand grip with a 1 inch coupling cut in half and then in half the other way and then glued each side with PL premium to the wrench. No room for the rubber though although I have recently purchased a different style harbor freight tools one so that may have room for the rubber.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:The one I use is a metal type Vice-Grip original brand grip with a 1 inch coupling cut in half and then in half the other way and then glued each side with PL premium to the wrench. No room for the rubber though although I have recently purchased a different style harbor freight tools one so that may have room for the rubber.
Not entirely clear on your references to "the rubber". What component are you talking about?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

By "the rubber" I mean the rubber used in the USWR tutorial between the PVC and the clamp on both sides.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:By "the rubber" I mean the rubber used in the USWR tutorial between the PVC and the clamp on both sides.
Ok I was just calling those spacer blocks.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Sorry for the confusion. I only looked at there video once and it looked to me like they had chopped up erasers and used them!

What do you use?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I don't need them. The clamp I'm using gives the same effect but I don't use fins that hang down below the nozzle.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.