Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:49 am

I've got my supply figured out for the air, and so I'm really close to being able to launch.

Now I only have to figure out the remote launch trigger. Maybe my gardena isn't the smoothest out there, but it seems to be very hard to pull it down with the cord. I have a pulley underneath, and there is a straddle wire connected to two sides of the gardena. The cord goes up from the pulley to the straddle wire that pulls the mechanism from both sides. I'm using a plastic Gardena, so maybe the trick is using a metal one. Any Ideas?



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by bugwubber » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 am

Jtrops wrote:I've got my supply figured out for the air, and so I'm really close to being able to launch.

Now I only have to figure out the remote launch trigger. Maybe my gardena isn't the smoothest out there, but it seems to be very hard to pull it down with the cord. I have a pulley underneath, and there is a straddle wire connected to two sides of the gardena. The cord goes up from the pulley to the straddle wire that pulls the mechanism from both sides. I'm using a plastic Gardena, so maybe the trick is using a metal one. Any Ideas?
I have heard that plastic gardena on the launcher is less reliable, that it tends to stick or leak. I recently built a plastic one for experiments but haven't put it through its paces yet.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

Rocket_Scientist
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Rocket_Scientist » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Try a bellcrank. Do a google image search.

You pivot on the corner of the L shape.

The short end of the L, you tie the gardena

The long end you tie your launch rope.

The force multiplication is (length of long end) divided by (length of short end)



Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:04 am

Rocket_Scientist wrote:Try a bellcrank. Do a google image search.

You pivot on the corner of the L shape.

The short end of the L, you tie the gardena

The long end you tie your launch rope.

The force multiplication is (length of long end) divided by (length of short end)
A bell crank would work, but it would be more complicated to rig than a pulley system. In my current setup I have it as a 1:1. If I add a pulley at the straddle cable and anchor the end of the cord at the first pulley I will have 2:1. I could put one more pulley in for 3:1, or 4:1 depending on where I anchor the cord. I hadn't thought of using a multiplier, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll look to see if someone has come up with a simple bell crank that I could add to my rig without much hassle. I have pulleys, and the space to use them.



User avatar
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Blenderite » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 am

Did you modify the gardena when you made the launcher? I took the springs out of mine and it makes it much easier to pull down. The only "problem" is that you have to slide it up to engage it.

If you would rather not risk ruining your gardena, you could do a pulley or bellcrank. Of the two I would choose bellcrank just because it is simpler to setup, and you can make it yourself, no need to go buy something.

AirCommand uses a metal quick release in his design. I assume that the metal quick release works with a plastic nozzle, but I am not sure. Also, his launch abort valve at the bottom of the page is a good idea too. Much safer way of releasing the pressure.


-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"

Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 pm

I tried to take the plastic Gardena apart, and it just didn't budge. I honestly thought that if I continued I would just break it. So, I bought an actual "Gardena Premium Quick Connect" starter set. I have to say that this thing is so much smoother in every way than the cheap plastic one I was using. I haven't got it all rigged up yet, but already it is practically effortless to pull the straddle cable. I imagine my original setup will work fine with this fitting. We'll see tomorrow!



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by bugwubber » Thu May 01, 2014 12:22 am

Jtrops wrote:I tried to take the plastic Gardena apart, and it just didn't budge. I honestly thought that if I continued I would just break it. So, I bought an actual "Gardena Premium Quick Connect" starter set. I have to say that this thing is so much smoother in every way than the cheap plastic one I was using. I haven't got it all rigged up yet, but already it is practically effortless to pull the straddle cable. I imagine my original setup will work fine with this fitting. We'll see tomorrow!
Good to know thanks! I won't spend too much time fidgeting with mine if it has issues.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Water Rocket Expert » Fri May 02, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Fri May 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.
I tried Home Depot with no luck. The only metal ones they have use a different connector, and aren't compatible with Gardena nozzles. So, I ordered from Amazon. $20 for the set including two quick connects, and a few adapters. That's only $5 more than getting the connector alone.

I ended up using a bellcrank made from part of an old broken front derailleur. It works perfectly. We did a dry, just air, launch this evening with low psi (40) to see if it would release. and the rocket (without fins) went 50'. I had to bail on the milk crate base and completely redesign my rig, but it was worth it. I'm using the tripod base from my black powder launch pad. If I can figure out how to put up photo's I'll add a couple.



Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Fri May 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Jtrops wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.
I tried Home Depot with no luck. The only metal ones they have use a different connector, and aren't compatible with Gardena nozzles. So, I ordered from Amazon. $20 for the set including two quick connects, and a few adapters. That's only $5 more than getting the connector alone.

I ended up using a bellcrank made from part of an old broken front derailleur. It works perfectly. We did a dry, just air, launch this evening with low psi (40) to see if it would release. and the rocket (without fins) went 50'. I had to bail on the milk crate base and completely redesign my rig, but it was worth it. I'm using the tripod base from my black powder launch pad. If I can figure out how to put up photo's I'll add a couple.
Does anyone in the USA have a source for the large Gardena style hose connectors? They sold them at Home Depot a few years ago, but they no longer have them in stock.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

Rocket_Scientist
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Rocket_Scientist » Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Glad to see the pictures!
Lowes sells a Bosch branded nozzle called Gardena.
Go to their website and search "quick connect"



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by bugwubber » Wed May 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Jtrops wrote:Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
I sacrificed my tripod to make adjustable legs for a solar telecope because the thumb latch broke. Is that thumb latch plastic like mine was?


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops » Wed May 07, 2014 6:01 pm

bugwubber wrote:
Jtrops wrote:Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
I sacrificed my tripod to make adjustable legs for a solar telecope because the thumb latch broke. Is that thumb latch plastic like mine was?
It's an old tripod that I modified to use for my solid fuel rockets. I cut the center column short, and epoxied the brackets for the brace higher up so the legs spread wider. I also ditched the extra leg extensions. The lock for the quick release plate is plastic. If it fails I'll just drill a hole through the plate and secure it with a bolt.

Repurposing old stuff is one of the best things about water rockets.



User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Jtrops wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
Jtrops wrote:Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
I sacrificed my tripod to make adjustable legs for a solar telecope because the thumb latch broke. Is that thumb latch plastic like mine was?
It's an old tripod that I modified to use for my solid fuel rockets. I cut the center column short, and epoxied the brackets for the brace higher up so the legs spread wider. I also ditched the extra leg extensions. The lock for the quick release plate is plastic. If it fails I'll just drill a hole through the plate and secure it with a bolt.

Repurposing old stuff is one of the best things about water rockets.
We have a launcher under construction that is made from some discarded shelving brackets. It's not quite as nice as our Instant Launcher design, but it is easier for people to replicate. We'll be posting plans shortly showing how we did it. Once we have it finished and tested.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

Post Reply