Begining Launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Benchthis

Begining Launcher

Post by Benchthis »

Hello All,

Using my summer days (mostly weekends) to spent time with my 8 year old grandson since he enjoys science. When my kids were younger, we had my two sons attend a science camp for a week where they built and launch water bottle rockets at the park. I recall it being very fun at the time and wanted my grandson to have the experience as well. The more I read your website, the more interested I became and wanted to give it a go as well. Any suggetions on building a do it yourself launcher that a Grandfather and son could build together!

Thanks in advance!

~Benchthis
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Begining Launcher

Post by mazuzuri »

Hey nice to hear you are planning some quality time with your grandson.
Although i am a new user her as well and rather new to building water rockets myself, i have found U.S water rockets website is a great place to go.
It is from their site that i am using tutorials they have made, most of it is simple fairly cheap and easy to make, on top of that they have some great step by step tutorials for all the basics needed.
Just go over to the left hand side were the menu is and you will se a button for construction & tutorials.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/index.htm

Hope this helps, and i hope you have a lot of fun.

Mazuzuri
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello Benchthis,

When it comes to constructing a launcher there are loads of different types. There is the Cable tie release which as Mazzuri said is on USWater Rockets Website.

I use the Gardena launcher which uses Garden Hose adaptors as nozzles on rockets to give a cool sustained burn up to apogee (9mm nozzle):
DSC09018 C.jpg
DSC09018 C.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 82 times
What is great about this type of launcher is that you can also make an adaptor to launch with 15mm nozzles as well meaning you get the higher altitudes like you get with the Cable Tie Launcher:
New Launcher.jpg
New Launcher.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 82 times
There are various tutorials around the web just type 'Gardena Launcher' into Google and browse the surrounding web page if this specific type of launcher takes your fancy.
DSC01148 c.jpg
DSC01148 c.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

mazuzuri wrote:Hey nice to hear you are planning some quality time with your grandson.
Although i am a new user her as well and rather new to building water rockets myself, i have found U.S water rockets website is a great place to go.
It is from their site that i am using tutorials they have made, most of it is simple fairly cheap and easy to make, on top of that they have some great step by step tutorials for all the basics needed.
Just go over to the left hand side were the menu is and you will se a button for construction & tutorials.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/index.htm

Hope this helps, and i hope you have a lot of fun.

Mazuzuri
Thank you for all of the kind words about our website and our tutorials! It is great to know that we were helpful in your build!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Little-Acorn

Post by Little-Acorn »

Benchthis wrote:Hello All,

Using my summer days (mostly weekends) to spent time with my 8 year old grandson since he enjoys science. When my kids were younger, we had my two sons attend a science camp for a week where they built and launch water bottle rockets at the park. I recall it being very fun at the time and wanted my grandson to have the experience as well. The more I read your website, the more interested I became and wanted to give it a go as well. Any suggetions on building a do it yourself launcher that a Grandfather and son could build together!

Thanks in advance!

~Benchthis
Hi Benchthis,

I put one together for our Cub Scout pack, and it's been working pretty well. I wrote about it in this forum, look under "Heavy-duty wood-frame rocket launcher".

I included a parts list and the how-to-build-it instructions. It's mostly Home Depot material, with a few parts from the local hobby shop and one from NAPA auto parts.

The parts list includes inventory (SKU) numbers for Home Depot and NAPA. Just walk in with the parts list, show it to the clerk, and he'll show you where each one is.

Good luck, whichever one you decide to build! :D
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello Benchthis,

When it comes to constructing a launcher there are loads of different types. There is the Cable tie release which as Mazzuri said is on USWater Rockets Website.

I use the Gardena launcher which uses Garden Hose adaptors as nozzles on rockets to give a cool sustained burn up to apogee (9mm nozzle):
DSC09018 C.jpg
What is great about this type of launcher is that you can also make an adaptor to launch with 15mm nozzles as well meaning you get the higher altitudes like you get with the Cable Tie Launcher:
New Launcher.jpg
There are various tutorials around the web just type 'Gardena Launcher' into Google and browse the surrounding web page if this specific type of launcher takes your fancy.
DSC01148 c.jpg
Jamie B
Maybe it's just because I didn't use the Gardena brand, but I had lots of problems with leaks with that style of launch pad. I would be interested in hearing if people that used the store brand "Gardena" connectors had similar issues or not.

I have had much better success with a simple Clarks Cable tie system. Just make sure you don't cut the groove for the o-ring too deep! I did that a few times. DOH:
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by ptx »

I built my launcher with the help of the people from this forum.
Just search for "Portable Launcher Project" at "Water Rocket Compressors and Launchers".
Hope it is useful.
ptx