What PSI have you achieved with meld launcher?

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
sletts02

What PSI have you achieved with meld launcher?

Post by sletts02 »

What's the typical PSI you achieve with a meld/bump style PVC launcher (where you heat the section of PVC to create a small friction seal).

I seem to be stuck around 60psi, maybe my bump isn't uniform enough? I'm wanting to try a higher pressure but not sure if it's even feasible with this style launcher.

Enlighten me :D!
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: What PSI have you achieved with meld launcher?

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

sletts02 wrote:What's the typical PSI you achieve with a meld/bump style PVC launcher (where you heat the section of PVC to create a small friction seal).

I seem to be stuck around 60psi, maybe my bump isn't uniform enough? I'm wanting to try a higher pressure but not sure if it's even feasible with this style launcher.

Why not just make an o-ring launcher? They can handle 100's of PSI with PVC, and a lot more with metal launch tubes. It's not difficult, and we have some tutorials on how to do it on our YouTube Channel. Don't count out the design.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
sletts02

Post by sletts02 »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
sletts02 wrote:What's the typical PSI you achieve with a meld/bump style PVC launcher (where you heat the section of PVC to create a small friction seal).

Why not just make an o-ring launcher? They can handle 100's of PSI with PVC, and a lot more with metal launch tubes. It's not difficult, and we have some tutorials on how to do it on our YouTube Channel. Don't count out the design.
I tried 3 times with no success with the o-ring unfortunately. Each time it seems to leak air. Perhaps I don't have the right sized / quality of o-ring?

I've tried every applicable o-ring from this pack: http://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-asso ... k_p4920305 All of them leak to some degree.

I tried the another meld/bump and got to 90P psi today which was good.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

The first launcher I made used this method. Don't think I ever went over 65 without having to hold the rocket down. I recall someone heated up the pvc and then force screwed in steel male NPT fitting to produce a better ramped swell in the PVC.

From my own experience, the ideal o-ring for 1/2" pvc has been the type BUNA N size "-208" hardness 75 DN o-ring. Never had an issue with leaking up to 110psi.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Personally I have never had a problem with the o-ring style launcher. Do you have pictures of the one you built?

As for the bump launcher, I have not heard people using it past 90psi.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"