Rusted air compressor.

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Rusted air compressor.

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Does anyone know if an air compressor can rust from the inside. I let out the water everyday and it seems fine but I think the water residue may cause the unpainted interior to rust. That could cause the tank to weaken and rupture. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Let me know. It's my 1 gallon pancake air compressor. :D :D :D :grouphug:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Rusted air compressor.

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Does anyone know if an air compressor can rust from the inside. I let out the water everyday and it seems fine but I think the water residue may cause the unpainted interior to rust. That could cause the tank to weaken and rupture. Is this something I should be concerned about?

That's normal. Just continue flushing after use and it won't ever be an issue. They are designed to deal with moisture.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Does anyone know if an air compressor can rust from the inside. I let out the water everyday and it seems fine but I think the water residue may cause the unpainted interior to rust. That could cause the tank to weaken and rupture. Is this something I should be concerned about?

They expect to get a little surface rust inside from use. As long as you don't see huge piles of iron oxide dust coming out when you open the drain, it should be ok. A little orange tint to the water is normal.
andy_R

Post by andy_R »

it's just atmospheric moisture...if you are really worried, try to add an inline drier to the inlet. As long as you drain it thoroughly and don't allow moisture to build up inside, you'll be ok
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

andy_R wrote:it's just atmospheric moisture...if you are really worried, try to add an inline drier to the inlet. As long as you drain it thoroughly and don't allow moisture to build up inside, you'll be ok
You can spray some WD-40 inside the tank and swish it around and coat the inside which will keep it from rusting and repel any moisture!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh thanks!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Oh thanks!
Are you going to be launching and posting videos again, Randy?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Yeah, I do still make rockets and launch, just everything has slowed down do to school, and I've sort of gotten into this hobby too! http://laserpointerforums.com/

I now have a 1.6 watt 445nm laser that can light leaves on fire!

Also, I slowed down posting because when I was on here a while back, the mods kept giving me trouble and I got fed up and took a brake. I remembered when that "Moose" mod (can't remember his/her username, just had the word moose in it) threatened to contact my ISP because I was supposedly up at 2am trying to "hack" the site.

So that why! But I post from time to time now.

NOW I realize you were talking to randy!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh, now I realize you quoted me, my name is not randy just to let you know, their was a user with this name.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Oh, now I realize you quoted me, my name is not randy just to let you know, their was a user with this name.
Sorry about that. There was another member with that name and his videos were auto-playing in another window and I got mixed up.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page