Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Plus 300 psi

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Plus 300 psi

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 pm

I have got a little compressor that gets up to 300 psi and was wondering if they made any ones that got like 400 or something. Look at nothing more than 80 bucks. Thanks!


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Plus 300 psi

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:17 pm

Drag_Racer408a wrote:I have got a little compressor that gets up to 300 psi and was wondering if they made any ones that got like 400 or something. Look at nothing more than 80 bucks. Thanks!

What ever happened to your 300PSI Compressor?


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:05 am

It has a regualted thing that only lets it go to 250 and then its toast and i have to get a new one. Not ready to ruin my dads good one yet.


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Drag_Racer408a wrote:It has a regualted thing that only lets it go to 250 and then its toast and i have to get a new one. Not ready to ruin my dads good one yet.
Did they advertise on the package that it was a 300PSI compressor?


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:26 pm

A 250 but the gauge goes up to 300. But i don't need that much anymore.


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Post by Tim Chen » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:01 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Drag_Racer408a wrote:It has a regualted thing that only lets it go to 250 and then its toast and i have to get a new one. Not ready to ruin my dads good one yet.
Did they advertise on the package that it was a 300PSI compressor?
I've had two of them that say right on the package that they go to 300PSI and they both worked great with rockets less than 1 liter in size. As soon as I made larger rockets the pumps got too hot from running longer and burned up the nylon gears inside. I am slowly salvaging metal gears from other tools to build a souped up 300PSY frankencompressor!


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:02 am

I had a good idea for a compressor that used an old like lawn mower engine. since i know a couple tricks about engines i know the get lots of compressoin. you could take one and take off the exhaust and carburator. The make little pieces to go over the ports. But drill a 3/8 inch hole in each plate. Then take the spark plug out and put your hose fitting into it. Then just turn it over a couple times and you got yourself a homemade air compressor. sort of.


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:43 am

Drag_Racer408a wrote:I had a good idea for a compressor that used an old like lawn mower engine. since i know a couple tricks about engines i know the get lots of compressoin. you could take one and take off the exhaust and carburator. The make little pieces to go over the ports. But drill a 3/8 inch hole in each plate. Then take the spark plug out and put your hose fitting into it. Then just turn it over a couple times and you got yourself a homemade air compressor. sort of.
They did that on the show "Junkyard Wars"! Do you remember that one?


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:44 pm

No, but i can believe that someone else would come up with the same concept. it is that complicated.


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:13 pm

Post by Mark Chen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:21 pm

Drag_Racer408a wrote:No, but i can believe that someone else would come up with the same concept. it is that complicated.
How much pressure can an engine block take? What kind of force is inside the piston chamber? I bet it's a lot. That must mean it can be used for a powerful compressor.


Mark Chen
Team Enterprise

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:21 pm

I am sure that it would build some pressure. But i wouldn't trust it at going higher than 200 PSI. Not even that high i am sure.


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Post by Tim Chen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:39 pm

Drag_Racer408a wrote:I am sure that it would build some pressure. But i wouldn't trust it at going higher than 200 PSI. Not even that high i am sure.
I found out a good car engine will generage 10-to-one compression ratio, so that gives only about 150-160 PSI max.

Time for a new idea.

:idea:


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Tim about your earlier post about compressor getting too hot from running... I got an idea to keep it from burning up without putting different gears in it. I don't want to tell cause its really simple yet should work awsome!


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Post by Tim Chen » Tue May 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Drag_Racer408a wrote:Tim about your earlier post about compressor getting too hot from running... I got an idea to keep it from burning up without putting different gears in it. I don't want to tell cause its really simple yet should work awsome!
Mark has two ideas. One is really simple, and the other is pretty simple. We're going to test them out. Hopefully the simplest one wins!


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Drag_Racer408a » Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 am

Cool


-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com

Post Reply