Help! I'm building a trapped air bubble fixture

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
alicuakapeshka

Help! I'm building a trapped air bubble fixture

Post by alicuakapeshka »

Hello! I'm new here just relized that your water rocket construction is exactly the type of info I'm looking for! I am building an art installation with water bottles. Imagine a bunch of tall rockets side by side with air pumped into the bottom that can escape at the top and light up with less for underwater effects in a club. I am going to try the slip joint method to combine bottles. I was not originally thinking about putting the bottles on stands. Do you think they could be supported a different way? I currently have weaker junction points that are essentially a hole drilled in the water bottle with a piece if air tubing stuck into it with silicon call and JB wet weld. They are holding but I have no flat bottom to set them down. Any ideas for supporting it? They are skinny tall 1 liter water bottles planning on four tall to make them 5' How much support will they need when they are filled with water? Weight estimates? All help greatly appreciated!!
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Help! I'm building a trapped air bubble fixture

Post by Blenderite »

I am a little confused as to what you are looking to do. A drawing might help out.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Use 1/2" pvc passing through beam at base to provide support and structure. Since you arent launching, just use sealant to prevent leaks between bottles and the tubes. Calc the total volume of all the bottles to understand how much weight you'll need to support. It will be a lot.

My launcher is set up this way, just subtract the metal release bar and valves, add some one.way valves so they don't drain out when air is turned off.
Attachments
tmp_28777-20150416_131055571951682.jpg
tmp_28777-20150416_131055571951682.jpg (6.98 MiB) Viewed 53 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Also, consider using the clear protective covers for florescent light tubes instead of gluing a bunch of bottles together. They come in 4 and 8ft lengths. They are polycarbonate and can be glued to pvc or such with a polyurethane based glue such as PL Premium.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

If you add a lot of bottles together to make a very tall cylinder, the water weight will not be an issue, but the tall structure will not be very stable and may tip over easily. The bottle at the base will not be able to handle a lot of torque and will probably collapse and let the whole thing tip over. Consider hanging the pillars from a bottle on the top with a wire around the top bottle neck.
China_WaterRocket
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by China_WaterRocket »

bugwubber wrote:Use 1/2" pvc passing through beam at base to provide support and structure. Since you arent launching, just use sealant to prevent leaks between bottles and the tubes. Calc the total volume of all the bottles to understand how much weight you'll need to support. It will be a lot.

My launcher is set up this way, just subtract the metal release bar and valves, add some one.way valves so they don't drain out when air is turned off.

good picture.
I come from China, do not understand English, your information I use the translation software to view. I like water rockets, technology is the same, I hope we can become friends.