In Search of Stability

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
retrotec29
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: In Search of Stability

Post by retrotec29 »

I had a little time after work today so I hit the park. Here is a little vid with the 8" GB zip ties on a schedule 20 1 1/2" ID collar. Two liter bottle with one half liter water at 100 psi.

Looks like the release was a 3.25-3.5 lbs.
Sorry about the double post earlier. My internet was a little weird.
No matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai
Pere Ubu
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pere Ubu »

There's a lot here for me to think about as I plan Launcher v 2.0 - the present one has air pressure all the way through it, and I think I'll build the base separate from the launch section so's I can drill some holes for tent pegs. In addition, I saw a neat launcher on YouTube that uses a Gardena-type head but has springs keeping the connector retracted, and a large washer pulled out to let the connector spring back. Viz:

Why your rocket is unstable = CN⍺1/2⍴v2⍺Ar

Northeast Pataphysical Institute, Aerospace Division
retrotec29
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by retrotec29 »

I like it. A great example of thinking outside the box. Ha! Looks like you really like the Gadena nozzle and collar. That’s cool. I did add a Gadena adapter for my launcher that is actuated by the pull string. Getting the release to work with a manageable tension was a challenge but the solution was simple. I took the locking collar apart and cut the spring down. Fish scale puts the realease tension at 3 lbs.
98CD1AB2-3767-42FD-891A-B8EE6260D8EA.jpeg
98CD1AB2-3767-42FD-891A-B8EE6260D8EA.jpeg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 15 times
No matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai
Pere Ubu
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pere Ubu »

retrotec29 wrote:I like it. A great example of thinking outside the box. Ha! Looks like you really like the Gardena nozzle and collar.
I like a problem-solving challenge. ;)
I took the locking collar apart and cut the spring down.
I tried following George Katz's advice on his YouTube video about how to take the collar apart, and I couldn't get the plastic strips to unlock it.
Why your rocket is unstable = CN⍺1/2⍴v2⍺Ar

Northeast Pataphysical Institute, Aerospace Division