Cluster Release

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Batkiter

Cluster Release

Post by Batkiter »

Hallo Soren!

Here a possible solution for cluster release. Usable for gardena 9mm or gardena professional 15mm nozzle diameter,, six booster.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
Raketen 109.jpg
Raketen 109.jpg (140.68 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Raketen 397.jpg
Raketen 397.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Raketen 106.jpg
Raketen 106.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 449 times
Raketen 105.jpg
Raketen 105.jpg (114.27 KiB) Viewed 441 times
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Cluster Release

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Batkiter wrote: Here a possible solution for cluster release. Usable for gardena 9mm or gardena professional 15mm nozzle diameter,, six booster.
Hi Claus:

How do you synchronise the simultaneous release of all of the nozzles?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Batkiter wrote: Here a possible solution for cluster release. Usable for gardena 9mm or gardena professional 15mm nozzle diameter,, six booster.
Hi Claus:

Hallo Steve!

Die Auslösung der Düsen erfolgt durch gleichzeitiges herunterdrücken der oberen Platte , die mit Druckfedern vorgespannt ist.

Der innere Ring rotiert um die Hochachse und gleitet in die Bohrungen , wenn der federbelastete Arm an der Vorderseite durch
den Federblock an der linken Seite nach rechts gedrückt wird. Der Federarm ist gleichzeitig die Luftzuführung für den Cluster.

Regards Claus
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Hi Claus:

Hallo Steve!

The release of the nozzles takes place via simultaneous presses down the upper plate, which is linked up with compression springs. The internal ring rotary around the vertical axis and slides into the drillings, if the spring-tensioned arm is pressed to the right at the front by the spring block at the left side. The spring arm is at the same time the air supply for the cluster.

Viele Grüße

Claus
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If batkiter built it, you know it's going to work!

Beautiful launcher!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Batkiter wrote: The release of the nozzles takes place via simultaneous presses down the upper plate, which is linked up with compression springs. The internal ring rotary around the vertical axis and slides into the drillings, if the spring-tensioned arm is pressed to the right at the front by the spring block at the left side. The spring arm is at the same time the air supply for the cluster.
Hi Claus, many thanks for the explanation... obviously I take back what I said about this being impossible. I still think it requires more engineering than the average wara maker can muster.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

This looks like the setup they used on Mythbusters that failed all the time. But they were using cable ties which are much less precision than gargenas are and they were using a release made from plywood, so it was probably flexing when they moved it so they had one side release before another and that caused the failure.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi Batkiter,

Thanks for the design and for the pictures! I will try making something like that, except that it might end up a little less beautiful :)

Did you turn those male Gardena nozzles yourself? And how do you trigger the launcher? I suppose it will trigger automatically, if the plexiglass board is not held up by something?

I might try use a servo to release my launcher. I have the opportunity to place it right in the middle. The funny thing about it will be that the servo will be triggered from the receiver on the rocket - so there has to be a plug that is pulled out on the wire.

Regards
Soren
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

dongfang wrote:Hi Batkiter,

Thanks for the design and for the pictures! I will try making something like that, except that it might end up a little less beautiful :)

Did you turn those male Gardena nozzles yourself? And how do you trigger the launcher? I suppose it will trigger automatically, if the plexiglass board is not held up by something?

I might try use a servo to release my launcher. I have the opportunity to place it right in the middle. The funny thing about it will be that the servo will be triggered from the receiver on the rocket - so there has to be a plug that is pulled out on the wire.

Regards
Soren
I did this a long time ago for a Water Rocket that used a disposable camera flash unit for a magnetic deploy. The rocket was wired to the launcher and charged the cap on the pad so it didn't need to carry batteries in flight.

I found a nice way to make a release wire for the power. I took apart an old PC and inside was a cable with 3 wires that was used as an extension for one of the fans who had a cable that was too short. The cable had 3 pins on one end and a 3-pin female jack on the other end. I cut it in half and used one side on the rocket and one on the pad. The rocket could easily pull the plug apart when it launched.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
A5Ben
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by A5Ben »

Do these plastic gardenas work well for you folks? I experimented with one over the weekend (two actually) and the little white plastic inserts would constantly blow out at 100PSI. They are hard to find in the grass!!!

I'm working with a metal gardena disconnect now and while it can withstand the pressure it is mush harder to release.

Ben
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

dongfang wrote:Hi Batkiter,

Regards
Soren
Hallo Soren!

The nozzles I manufactured after own parameters. They are extremely aerodynamically clean and high performance, because none turbulences inside the nozzle the water brake and thus a strong initial thrust are ensured. Own Designe!

The upper plate of the launcher lies in the initial position on the balls of the tension ring, if the spring arm is to the left locked. Between the block right beside the spring arm and the spring rod at the left side the release block is pushed in.

This block pulled presses the spring rod the arm to the right and the balls to slide into the holes. The plate moves downward and carries the clutches forward.

The nozzles consist not of plastics but of teflon and are pressureresistant till 30bar.

Regards

Batkiter
Attachments
15mm  Nozzle Long Version Alu<br />15mm  Foam Nozzle<br />15mm  Nozzle Long Version Teflon
15mm Nozzle Long Version Alu
15mm Foam Nozzle
15mm Nozzle Long Version Teflon
raketen 353.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 349 times
9mm Aluminium Nozzle
9mm Aluminium Nozzle
Raketen 018.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 349 times
9mm Nozzle Long Version
9mm Nozzle Long Version
raketen 117.jpg (24.57 KiB) Viewed 349 times
9mm  Nozzle
9mm Nozzle
raketen.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Chonchielopez
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Chonchielopez »

This Is a very sophisticated launcher good thing you made it and not me... :)
Launchers are hard to make
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

a simpler way would be to only hold down the middle one because the middle rocket can hold the other engines into the launcher
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Brian wrote:a simpler way would be to only hold down the middle one because the middle rocket can hold the other engines into the launcher
This is really difficult to do if you're trying to use reinforced high pressure rockets. With reasonably sized nozzles even a reinforced rocket with a fairly low pressure like 200PSI can generate close to 1000 pounds of force trying to lift it from the launcher. It's very hard to make a launcher capable of holding this much force. The force increases linearly, so at 2000PSI you get 10000 pounds of force on the center nozzle...

Our earliest efforts at cracking the world record employed this technique and we had problems with the nozzles ripping out of the launcher or the boosters ripping off and flying on their own. It might be worth revisiting now that we have more experience with reinforcement but back then we abandoned it because we were wasting tons of composite sleeve.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
castle-bravo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by castle-bravo »

nice launcher :)