Pressure Vessel Question

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pressure Vessel Question

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

If I compete in the class A, can my rocket pressure vessel be constructed out of fluorescent tube covers? Can my rocket be pressurized to 400 psi? Can by rocket drop heavy ballast out of the rocket for a tumble recovery (water or rockets or something heavy) ? TH:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pressure Vessel Question

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:If I compete in the class A, can my rocket pressure vessel be constructed out of fluorescent tube covers? Can my rocket be pressurized to 400 psi? Can by rocket drop heavy ballast out of the rocket for a tumble recovery (water or rockets or something heavy) ? TH:
To answer your questions:

1. Yes the rocket can be constructed using a fluorescent lamp cover if you choose.
2. You can use whatever pressure you want as long as it is compressed air (no nitrogen, CO2 or any other gasses are allowed)
3. You can use any kind of deployment system you like (just remember that any "heavy ballast" you fly would count as the total weight towards the maximum weight of 1500 grams).
4. Your recovery system must meet the maximum touchdown speed and the rocket must be flown two times within 2 hours and the average of the two flights being considered the altitude.
5. You also need to compete the membership application http://wra2.org/WRA2_Membership_Application.php to be eligible to submit a record attempt (you will receive posting privileges in the record submission forum when you complete the application).

Good luck! PH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thanks but can I use rocks as a weigh in the nose cone instead of metal. TH:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Thanks but can I use rocks as a weigh in the nose cone instead of metal. TH:
The extra weight is going to adversely affect the altitude.

Sand or clay would work better and be safer than rocks.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

It is okay if the rocket drops rocks from high altitude? Just wondering. I'd be cool to see them splash in the water too!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:It is okay if the rocket drops rocks from high altitude? Just wondering. I'd be cool to see them splash in the water too!
There's nothing stopping people from dropping rocks, launching mammalian passengers, or putting metal nozzles on their water rockets, except of course for the local laws. For the most part, you have to follow the hobby rocket rules for the area where you live. Every major government follows rules that restrict such things, and define acceptable parameters for weight and materials, so if you choose to break the law the only thing that can stop you is probably getting caught.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison