Another Pressure Vessel Question

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
Prodigy Rocketry
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Another Pressure Vessel Question

Post by Prodigy Rocketry »

As I have read the class A rules for single stage altitude and begin planning an airframe for competition; I have a couple questions for the WRA2 board.

As long as the entire rocket (everything except reaction mass) weighs 1500gm or less, can it's pressure vessel be any lenghth or dimeter that's within these parameters?

Is chemical deployment acceptable, common methods or otherwise? Not pyro of course.

Is any wire spring acceptable in the deployment mechanism? This would be completely internal (nose cone affixed).

Is ANY fixed style (rigidly attached rocket) to launcher allowed? I have an ideal that is still in the thinktank that is entirely different then what is commonly used but still falls well within the leagal wording for launcher construction. I wish not to reveal this directly here; if your curiosity is such that you must know, please contact me privately about this matter for the time being. LS:
Thank you for your time durring the holidays.
Any opinion can be raised, but few grow up to become facts.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Pressure Vessel Question

Post by WRA2 »

Prodigy Rocketry wrote:As I have read the class A rules for single stage altitude and begin planning an airframe for competition; I have a couple questions for the WRA2 board.

As long as the entire rocket (everything except reaction mass) weighs 1500gm or less, can it's pressure vessel be any lenghth or dimeter that's within these parameters?
The rocket can be any length, diameter or volume when competing in the class A as long as the rocket and payload (flight ready with the exception of the water reaction mass) does not exceed 1,500 grams.
Prodigy Rocketry wrote: Is chemical deployment acceptable, common methods or otherwise? Not pyro of course.
If you are referring to a chemical reaction such as formed when mixing menthos and diet coke to pop off a nosecone. They are allowed, but we do ask that the chemicals be limited to ones that are not harmful to people, animals and the environment though
Prodigy Rocketry wrote: Is any wire spring acceptable in the deployment mechanism? This would be completely internal (nose cone affixed).
Small bits of metal such as a spring or wire (or the metal contained in electronics and batteries) is allowed if contained in a payload bay that is separate from the pressure vessel.
Prodigy Rocketry wrote: Is ANY fixed style (rigidly attached rocket) to launcher allowed? I have an ideal that is still in the thinktank that is entirely different then what is commonly used but still falls well within the leagal wording for launcher construction. I wish not to reveal this directly here; if your curiosity is such that you must know, please contact me privately about this matter for the time being. LS:
Thank you for your time durring the holidays.
You can use whatever design launcher and clamping mechanism you wish as long as it does not impart any energy to the rocket (catapults, slingshots, etc. are not allowed as they "toss" the rocket). The energy to launch must be contained solely in the pressure vessel. (The rocket must push itself off the launcher)

Happy Thanksgiving! TI:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2: