WRA2 1000 Foot challenge General Discussion

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

WRA2 1000 Foot challenge General Discussion

Post by WRA2 »

Teams can use this forum to discuss their construction techniques, launchers and recovery systems for the 1000 foot challenge.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've been tied up at work and so I am just now getting back to work on my rockets. I've got some kevlar and have been trying to wrap bottles and FTC's with it. I wasted some already because it came out all wrinkled. I think before I use any more I will practice on cheaper materials, so I bought some fibergless at a boat shop. I may make a fiberglass rocket first.

Hey, is fiberglass an acceptable material for a WRA2 rocket? Technically, it's "glass", not plastic.

:twisted:
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

I think it might be okay but you may want to be far away from the rocket when you pressurize it because the shrapnel could hurt you bad because fiberglass shaters really bad. I an not sure if its okay.

Maybe you could sand the kevlar down so it is smooth if thats your issue.
-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Drag_Racer408a wrote:I think it might be okay but you may want to be far away from the rocket when you pressurize it because the shrapnel could hurt you bad because fiberglass shaters really bad. I an not sure if its okay.

Maybe you could sand the kevlar down so it is smooth if thats your issue.
I'm just going to practice with the fiberglass and maybe do some pressure tests. I think it's okay, because Carbon Fiber shatters worst of all and other people use that, so I think as long as I am far away I will be safe.

I need to practice wrapping the fiberglass to get the skill down. Kevlar is too expensive to experiment with. If I can hone my skills on the cheap fiberglass I won't ruin the kevlar.

I thought about sanding it down, but I'm afraid it will weaken the wrap, so I will hold off until I can do some tests on te fiberglass.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"