Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

:WRA2: NewestWRA2members: :WRA2:

David Currier from Elwood, IN, USA,
Dave Swift from Cortlandt Manor, NY USA,
Silfo from Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina,
China_WaterRocket from DongGuang, China,
and afrom1 from københavn, Denmark


Congratulations to Khairul- SMK Seksyen 24(2) for the new Class D record of 281.07 feet (85.67 meters)

Question on rules for pressure vessel

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby WRA2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.


It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
:DH:


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Water Rocket Expert » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 pm

WRA2 wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.


It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
:DH:


Wow, that is impressive. Maybe it is not as hard as I thought it would be. The only problem is obtaining the expensive epoxy and scuba tank. I can use a nitrogen tank but that's not exactly fair.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am
Location: Zimmerman, MN

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby bugwubber » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 am

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.


It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
:DH:


Wow, that is impressive. Maybe it is not as hard as I thought it would be. The only problem is obtaining the expensive epoxy and scuba tank. I can use a nitrogen tank but that's not exactly fair.


You do realize there's no one within 800ft of their record right?


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Ascension
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 am

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Ascension » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 am

WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:Hi

We are working on a water rocket that we would like to enter into the class A section. Our carbon fibre pressure vessel tube was made for us at a workshop. We then designed end caps ourselves and assembled the pressure vessel. Are we still within the regulation to compete?

Regards
Team Ascension


I appreciate your honesty but a "manufactured carbon fiber tube" that was manufactured purposely to be your rocket would not qualify under the rules. Can you provide more details about the "workshop" Did you build the tube yourself (or the team members) using a workshop or did you order it from a company that specializes in making carbon fiber tubes that are used as a pressure vessels? That makes a difference. Re-purposing a CF tube that was used for something else say a bicycle frame would be allowed too. If we did not have this rule, the competition would turn into who has the most cash and can order the biggest, strongest tube from a professional manufacturer. The purpose of this competition is to design and build the best rocket.


The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.


User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Water Rocket Expert » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 am

Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am
Location: Zimmerman, MN

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby bugwubber » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 am

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.


Because it really is a hard thing to do.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Water Rocket Expert » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:42 pm

They have done pleanty of hard things in the past and they have succeeded. I was wondering, has anyone had a problem with the Jolly logic altimeters in the cold. When I launched and got it back, there was no reading a the screen was dead but when I charged it a bit and warmed it up it turned on but still no reading. I have had problems with LP batteries before but this is kind of odd since it was in the cold for only like 15 minutes


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.


This sounds like the same kind of thing other people have used. I don't see why it's not complying with the rules. I guess as long as it doesn't weigh too much it would be fine. Anyone else have any thoughts?

How big is the tubing?


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 pm

WRA2 wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.


It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
:DH:


I don't remember they ever said "epoxy". I always wondered if they might have a secret resin which is lighter or stronger.


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby WRA2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.


That flight would not have counted as the rocket did not meet the rules requirements (exceeded 1,500 grams, used metal for the nozzles and caps and other structural components).

As far as the "highest launch contest" there isn't one. There is only a personal best which is totally unofficial.


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Water Rocket Expert » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:33 pm

I was still pretty cool!


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby WRA2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:Hi

We are working on a water rocket that we would like to enter into the class A section. Our carbon fibre pressure vessel tube was made for us at a workshop. We then designed end caps ourselves and assembled the pressure vessel. Are we still within the regulation to compete?

Regards
Team Ascension


I appreciate your honesty but a "manufactured carbon fiber tube" that was manufactured purposely to be your rocket would not qualify under the rules. Can you provide more details about the "workshop" Did you build the tube yourself (or the team members) using a workshop or did you order it from a company that specializes in making carbon fiber tubes that are used as a pressure vessels? That makes a difference. Re-purposing a CF tube that was used for something else say a bicycle frame would be allowed too. If we did not have this rule, the competition would turn into who has the most cash and can order the biggest, strongest tube from a professional manufacturer. The purpose of this competition is to design and build the best rocket.


The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.


Can you post some specifications for the tube that you have as it came from the manufacturer (length, diameter, wall thickness, weight and weather or not this tube was designed to hole pressure)?


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Galway, NY
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 am

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.


Because it really is a hard thing to do.


Thanks, Bugwubber!


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Water Rocket Expert » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 am

I'm sure it was really hard to do. Getting a rocket 2000 feet is impressive let alone it being a water rocket. You need a multible stage or G enige to go 2000 feet for pyro.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Ascension
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 am

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Postby Ascension » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:27 am

WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:

I appreciate your honesty but a "manufactured carbon fiber tube" that was manufactured purposely to be your rocket would not qualify under the rules. Can you provide more details about the "workshop" Did you build the tube yourself (or the team members) using a workshop or did you order it from a company that specializes in making carbon fiber tubes that are used as a pressure vessels? That makes a difference. Re-purposing a CF tube that was used for something else say a bicycle frame would be allowed too. If we did not have this rule, the competition would turn into who has the most cash and can order the biggest, strongest tube from a professional manufacturer. The purpose of this competition is to design and build the best rocket.


The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.


Can you post some specifications for the tube that you have as it came from the manufacturer (length, diameter, wall thickness, weight and weather or not this tube was designed to hole pressure)?


The tube has an ID of 60mm and a 1.5mm wall thickness. It is 2.66m in length and weighs about 900g. GRP suggested to us that we only use the tube up to 6 bar. We are reinforcing the tube ourselves to meet our pressure requirements.



Return to “WRA2 competition rules Q & A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests