Question on rules for pressure vessel

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on rules for pressure vessel

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.
It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
:DH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

WRA2 wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well said and I understand but did USWR wrap their tube from carbon fiber, or was it a carbon pipe to begin with. Someone needs to create a poll for this topic.
It was a standard T-12 fluorescent light protective cover wrapped with carbon fiber cloth and epoxy.
Wow, that is impressive. Maybe it is not as hard as I thought it would be. The only problem is obtaining the expensive epoxy and scuba tank. I can use a nitrogen tank but that's not exactly fair.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Wow, that is impressive. Maybe it is not as hard as I thought it would be. The only problem is obtaining the expensive epoxy and scuba tank. I can use a nitrogen tank but that's not exactly fair.
You do realize there's no one within 800ft of their record right?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Ascension
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Ascension »

WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:Hi

We are working on a water rocket that we would like to enter into the class A section. Our carbon fibre pressure vessel tube was made for us at a workshop. We then designed end caps ourselves and assembled the pressure vessel. Are we still within the regulation to compete?

Regards
Team Ascension
I appreciate your honesty but a "manufactured carbon fiber tube" that was manufactured purposely to be your rocket would not qualify under the rules. Can you provide more details about the "workshop" Did you build the tube yourself (or the team members) using a workshop or did you order it from a company that specializes in making carbon fiber tubes that are used as a pressure vessels? That makes a difference. Re-purposing a CF tube that was used for something else say a bicycle frame would be allowed too. If we did not have this rule, the competition would turn into who has the most cash and can order the biggest, strongest tube from a professional manufacturer. The purpose of this competition is to design and build the best rocket.
The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.
Because it really is a hard thing to do.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

They have done pleanty of hard things in the past and they have succeeded. I was wondering, has anyone had a problem with the Jolly logic altimeters in the cold. When I launched and got it back, there was no reading a the screen was dead but when I charged it a bit and warmed it up it turned on but still no reading. I have had problems with LP batteries before but this is kind of odd since it was in the cold for only like 15 minutes
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.
This sounds like the same kind of thing other people have used. I don't see why it's not complying with the rules. I guess as long as it doesn't weigh too much it would be fine. Anyone else have any thoughts?

How big is the tubing?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WRA2 wrote:
I don't remember they ever said "epoxy". I always wondered if they might have a secret resin which is lighter or stronger.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well air command has 1239' but I don't know why they don't make the same thing USWR did. They seem to have all the equipment, and the money, because believe it or not, you have to money to try for a world record altitude contest. That's fine cause its like the highest launch possible contest.
That flight would not have counted as the rocket did not meet the rules requirements (exceeded 1,500 grams, used metal for the nozzles and caps and other structural components).

As far as the "highest launch contest" there isn't one. There is only a personal best which is totally unofficial.
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I was still pretty cool!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:Hi

We are working on a water rocket that we would like to enter into the class A section. Our carbon fibre pressure vessel tube was made for us at a workshop. We then designed end caps ourselves and assembled the pressure vessel. Are we still within the regulation to compete?

Regards
Team Ascension
I appreciate your honesty but a "manufactured carbon fiber tube" that was manufactured purposely to be your rocket would not qualify under the rules. Can you provide more details about the "workshop" Did you build the tube yourself (or the team members) using a workshop or did you order it from a company that specializes in making carbon fiber tubes that are used as a pressure vessels? That makes a difference. Re-purposing a CF tube that was used for something else say a bicycle frame would be allowed too. If we did not have this rule, the competition would turn into who has the most cash and can order the biggest, strongest tube from a professional manufacturer. The purpose of this competition is to design and build the best rocket.
The tube was donated to us by GRP Tubing. The tube was just a thin walled cylinder that was open on both ends. We then had to fit the end caps to seal it. For more info about GRP Tubing visit grptubing.com.
Can you post some specifications for the tube that you have as it came from the manufacturer (length, diameter, wall thickness, weight and weather or not this tube was designed to hole pressure)?
Lisa Walker,
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Because it really is a hard thing to do.
Thanks, Bugwubber!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I'm sure it was really hard to do. Getting a rocket 2000 feet is impressive let alone it being a water rocket. You need a multible stage or G enige to go 2000 feet for pyro.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Ascension
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Ascension »

WRA2 wrote:
Ascension wrote:
WRA2 wrote:

Can you post some specifications for the tube that you have as it came from the manufacturer (length, diameter, wall thickness, weight and weather or not this tube was designed to hole pressure)?
The tube has an ID of 60mm and a 1.5mm wall thickness. It is 2.66m in length and weighs about 900g. GRP suggested to us that we only use the tube up to 6 bar. We are reinforcing the tube ourselves to meet our pressure requirements.