manufactured fins

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

manufactured fins

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I am building high altitude unreinforced 2 liter water rockets. I was wondering if I entered the unreinforced competition, if I could use anti gravity's ring fins. I probably could make my own, but then I still would like to know. The rules say you can't raid hobby shops for nose cones and fins, but it didn't say anything about purchasing online.

Can someone clarify?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: manufactured fins

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I am building high altitude unreinforced 2 liter water rockets. I was wondering if I entered the unreinforced competition, if I could use anti gravity's ring fins. I probably could make my own, but then I still would like to know. The rules say you can't raid hobby shops for nose cones and fins, but it didn't say anything about purchasing online.

Can someone clarify?
No those fins or any other that are purchased as purposely manufactured "rocket fins" would not be allowed.

You have to make your own.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

That you. I suppose for ring fins just part of a pet bottle with wood dowel struts or maybe something lighter.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

So I guess Ken Schellenburg can use his own manufactured fins; right?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:So I guess Ken Schellenburg can use his own manufactured fins; right?
If he has them made in a factory...no.

If he makes them personally...Yes.

Yes I know that the performance advantage would be negligible to use manufactured fins but the spirit of the rule is to encourage teams to design and build all their own parts rather than just buying them.
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I'm sure you've seen the images of his facility. if he owns the facility can he use them because he made them?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I'm sure you've seen the images of his facility. if he owns the facility can he use them because he made them?
If he makes them himself, he could use them but if he has a subcontractor mold them for him then he could not use those.

You could use a "water rocket expert" nosecone but Anti gravity could not buy a "water rocket expert" nosecone from you nosecone and use it.
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Understood. Remember, Water Rocket Expert is a username, not a team name.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:So I guess Ken Schellenburg can use his own manufactured fins; right?
Those fins are designed for his small nozzle rockets. They would most likely rip to pieces if you were going for a record and used a big nozzle such a flight would require.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Actually my highest altitude single pop bottle rocket was using a reduced nozzle of 12mm. Can't be as small as his because of the camera.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland