Use of Bottled air

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Use of Bottled air

Post by sporter2k5 »

I just want to add that I think that you guys would get more membership if you didn't force everyone to use pumps and compressors
Steve
sporter2k5#NOSPAM#@gmail.com
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Upgrade Service Interruptions

Post by Team Seneca »

sporter2k5 wrote:I just want to add that I think that you guys would get more membership if you didn't force everyone to use pumps and compressors.
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.
Where on earth did you get that idea?
Anybody can join up no matter what they fly.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

I use a 5 gallon tank when I don't feel like pumping. It's not a crime!
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Team Seneca wrote:
sporter2k5 wrote:I just want to add that I think that you guys would get more membership if you didn't force everyone to use pumps and compressors.
People can participate even if they don't fly anything too! People who just want to build or invent new designs can be a member as well. My brother is a member and I do all the work! :P
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Tim Chen wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:
People can participate even if they don't fly anything too! People who just want to build or invent new designs can be a member as well. My brother is a member and I do all the work! :P
Har har har.
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by sporter2k5 »

Team Seneca wrote:
I get the idea from reading the rules. It says I must use a pump or compressor to fill my rocket. Plus, if you look at the record holder WRN.com site, they have little cartoons with 'cheaters' using air tanks. It looks clear to me!
Steve
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

sporter2k5 wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:
I get the idea from reading the rules. It says I must use a pump or compressor to fill my rocket. Plus, if you look at the record holder WRN.com site, they have little cartoons with 'cheaters' using air tanks. It looks clear to me!
I think you've been spending too much time listening to some sore losers. If you have an open mind then you would realize that the only time a compressor/pump is required is when you make an attempt at a world record. It's odd that the rules require a camera and an altimeter on a record flight, yet nobody assumes that you need one for every flight and complains about it. Trust me, I know how many advantages there are for tanks, which is why you're obsessed with them.

As for the cartoons on wrn.com, you would be quite surprised if you knew who they were poking fun at. I imagine that the same sour grapes which you've been talking to assume they're the target of the jokes. Don't flatter yourselves. USWR has been poking fun at tanks since long before everyone knew who they were.

I hope I've made it clear that the only time when you are required to follow the WRA2 rules is when you enter in a WRA2 sponsored contest or event. I think that's fair to ask. However, I think you would try your very best to follow them at all times if possible because they were written with your safety and the safety of others in mind.
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Use of Bottled air

Post by WRA2 »

sporter2k5 wrote:I just want to add that I think that you guys would get more membership if you didn't force everyone to use pumps and compressors
The only time that a compressor is required is when attempting record flights. We have several different skill level competitions so anyone can compete without having to purchase expensive equipment. The only time a compressor is required is when attempting to set an official record. If you desire to use bottled air for testing as a convenience then do so if you wish. As Rick stated there are advantages to using an air tank and it would not be fair to the teams using compressors to allow their use in the competitions.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by sporter2k5 »

The Mooseheads wrote: I think you've been spending too much time listening to some sore losers. If you have an open mind then you would realize that the only time a compressor/pump is required is when you make an attempt at a world record. It's odd that the rules require a camera and an altimeter on a record flight, yet nobody assumes that you need one for every flight and complains about it. Trust me, I know how many advantages there are for tanks, which is why you're obsessed with them.

As for the cartoons on wrn.com, you would be quite surprised if you knew who they were poking fun at. I imagine that the same sour grapes which you've been talking to assume they're the target of the jokes. Don't flatter yourselves. USWR has been poking fun at tanks since long before everyone knew who they were.

I hope I've made it clear that the only time when you are required to follow the WRA2 rules is when you enter in a WRA2 sponsored contest or event. I think that's fair to ask. However, I think you would try your very best to follow them at all times if possible because they were written with your safety and the safety of others in mind.
I'd LOVE to know what all these suppose to be "advantages" are that you keep talking about. There's no advantage except that it's more convenient. The fittings and valves and tanks themselves aren't exactly FREE, so the cost is still high. Over time it might be even more costly because you pay every time you fill a tank. Other than being easy to carry and they don't need fuel or electric power you still have the same thing - a pressure supply.

If you really are worried about people being safe then why don't you just say people have to follow all the laws and safety codes when using gas cylinders or else they will be disqualified? If they have the right licenses and inspections then they know how to work safely with these things.
Steve
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

sporter2k5 wrote:I'd LOVE to know what all these suppose to be "advantages" are that you keep talking about. There's no advantage except that it's more convenient. The fittings and valves and tanks themselves aren't exactly FREE, so the cost is still high. Over time it might be even more costly because you pay every time you fill a tank. Other than being easy to carry and they don't need fuel or electric power you still have the same thing - a pressure supply.

If you really are worried about people being safe then why don't you just say people have to follow all the laws and safety codes when using gas cylinders or else they will be disqualified? If they have the right licenses and inspections then they know how to work safely with these things.
Well, since you asked what advantages there was, how about the fact that CO2 stores more energy and provides more thrust? What about the fact you can shove it in as a liquid and use the phase change to gas to produce more energy and utilize CD nozzles more efficiently? Technically, we should even be considering it, since it goes against your idea that we promote water rockets as "green". CO2 is a greenhouse gas, BTW.
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by sporter2k5 »

O.K. I see your point. I think I can suggest a way or two to solve this problem for you to consider. How about you just not allow CO2 or you handicap rockets that use different gasses based on their different compressability? If you like the idea of promoting the environmentally friendly aspects of wrockets then why not just limit the rules so only compressed air tanks and air compressors are allowed? I think people would understand this rule.
Steve
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

sporter2k5 wrote:O.K. I see your point. I think I can suggest a way or two to solve this problem for you to consider. How about you just not allow CO2 or you handicap rockets that use different gasses based on their different compressability? If you like the idea of promoting the environmentally friendly aspects of wrockets then why not just limit the rules so only compressed air tanks and air compressors are allowed? I think people would understand this rule.
I think the only problem with this idea is that there's no way to know if someone is using a tank filled with CO2 or propane or hydrogen or air or anything. How would we know they used just air in the tank. I wish that the solution was easier. To be honest, there are also other advantages that we have not even addressed yet. I'm not sure that all the advantages can be resolved easily and fairly.
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Don't you need to be certified to have air tanks filled? How much does THAT cost???
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by sporter2k5 »

What if we were to only allow compressed air and no other gasses. You can choose to compress your own air with a compressor connected to the rocket or you can use bottled air. To show that only air is used in the bottles, I propose that the user must use a breatable air tank and have all the proper certifications and all the proper regulators and valves as required by law. According to my research, it is illegal to fill a breathable air tank with anything but air. So, if they provide documentation showing that the tank was filled by a certified refilling station then we have documented proof of the contents of the tank. Would that be acceptable?
Steve
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

sporter2k5 wrote:What if we were to only allow compressed air and no other gasses. You can choose to compress your own air with a compressor connected to the rocket or you can use bottled air. To show that only air is used in the bottles, I propose that the user must use a breatable air tank and have all the proper certifications and all the proper regulators and valves as required by law. According to my research, it is illegal to fill a breathable air tank with anything but air. So, if they provide documentation showing that the tank was filled by a certified refilling station then we have documented proof of the contents of the tank. Would that be acceptable?
I think you need to make the rules encompass ANY illegal or immoral actions. If you break any laws while trying to set a record or if you swipe ideas from other people then your entry is thrown out!
Bill W.
Team Seneca