Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.


Hello Everyone. It is that time of year again. Time to approve changes to the competition rules for the new year.

You Can vote at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&p=19486#p19486

Please take the time to vote. TH:

Some general class C questions

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
Post Reply
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Some general class C questions

Post by SaskAlex » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi, my name is Alex and I just joined here. I've got some questions about the C class.

I find the idea of a flight duration competition rather weird if you are using a parachute. Is there any restriction on parachute size? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have a class that doesn't require an altimeter. Although, an on-board camera isn't too cheap either.

Also, are you allowed to add any reinforcements to the bottle? I'm not thinking anything high-tech, but I have heat shrunk large bottles over top of smaller ones before to allow for more pressure.

Lastly, does anyone else think it would be cool to have a height competition with rules like those of the C class? I really think height is what most people care about with their rockets, and I imagine a lot of people don't have the money or skills to use fancy materials in their pressure vessels. I'm not suggesting a whole other class, there doesn't seem to be enough participation for that. Maybe I just need to set my own goals.

Anyways, I'm just trying to find out what I want to achieve this summer.

Alex



User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by WRA2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 pm

SaskAlex wrote:Hi, my name is Alex and I just joined here. I've got some questions about the C class.

I find the idea of a flight duration competition rather weird if you are using a parachute. Is there any restriction on parachute size? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have a class that doesn't require an altimeter. Although, an on-board camera isn't too cheap either.
No restriction on size for the parachute. The rocket could also deploy wings and glide down. Small video cameras are fairly cheap ($20) so the investment is not much. The on board videos are a staple of the WRA2 and increase the "wow factor" and attract more people to the hobby.
SaskAlex wrote:Also, are you allowed to add any reinforcements to the bottle? I'm not thinking anything high-tech, but I have heat shrunk large bottles over top of smaller ones before to allow for more pressure.
Sorry but no reinforcements are allowed in the class C. That keeps the cost reasonable for everyone. Also class C requires the use of a manual pump (also to keep the cost down) which makes reinforcements impractical.
SaskAlex wrote:Lastly, does anyone else think it would be cool to have a height competition with rules like those of the C class? I really think height is what most people care about with their rockets, and I imagine a lot of people don't have the money or skills to use fancy materials in their pressure vessels. I'm not suggesting a whole other class, there doesn't seem to be enough participation for that. Maybe I just need to set my own goals.
The problem with a height measurement for the class C is the cost of the altimeter. This class is designed to keep costs down. We will think about adding more classes once we have more participation in the current ones. Right now you could be the first to submit a class C entry.
SaskAlex wrote:Anyways, I'm just trying to find out what I want to achieve this summer.

Alex
Welcome to the WRA2 :WRA2: Alex, :W

Good Luck!!!


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by SaskAlex » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the reply, that clears some things up. I didn't know you could cameras that cheap, that's really impressive. That does make it a pretty easy class to compete in.

Alex



User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm

WRA2 wrote: Right now you could be the first to submit a class C entry.
Only if he acts fast. Heh heh heh.


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by WRA2 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:41 pm

SaskAlex wrote:Thanks for the reply, that clears some things up. I didn't know you could cameras that cheap, that's really impressive. That does make it a pretty easy class to compete in.

Alex
Try Ebay to look for a cheap source of a camera...Good Luck :WRA2:


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

User avatar
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by Jelo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:46 pm

sorry to dig up an old topic but im competing for class c records too :) is there any pressure restriction at all as long as im using a manual pump?

also about the idea of high competition in class c, it kinda is a hight competition since the higher you go the longer you will stay airborn, if using the same parachute.

i was thinking bout having a propeler at the front of my rocket which will wind up when the rocket goes up and then propel the rocket up when no more wind is keeping it from stopping, can i do that?


Anto'

always wear a raincoat

User avatar
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by WRA2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Jelo wrote:sorry to dig up an old topic but im competing for class c records too :) is there any pressure restriction at all as long as im using a manual pump?

also about the idea of high competition in class c, it kinda is a hight competition since the higher you go the longer you will stay airborn, if using the same parachute.

i was thinking bout having a propeler at the front of my rocket which will wind up when the rocket goes up and then propel the rocket up when no more wind is keeping it from stopping, can i do that?
There is no pressure limitations but you cannot reinforce the bottle.

The propeller idea would be allowed but probably would add too much drag and weight to your rocket to make it worthwhile but if you think you can make it work then go for it.

Good luck! :WRA2:


Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Some general class C questions

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Good luck! It would be interesting to see if the idea can work. Just pay attention to the weight limit.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

Post Reply