WRA2 Design and Fabrication Competition

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

WRA2 Design and Fabrication Competition

Post by WRA2 »

Now that the "altitude challenge is running we can turn our attention to a competition that we continue to receive requests for: The design and fabrication competition.
DesignFabCompetition.gif
DesignFabCompetition.gif (223.53 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Some of our members have requested that we take another look at the design competition as they are unable to compete in our altitude competitions due to lack of a suitable local launch area. The Design and fabrication competition fits the bill. Weather it be a new deployment system, launch clamp, or flight computer all designs will be welcome. The most innovative design or craftsmanship of an existing design will be eligible.

The basic groundwork will be to have 2 sessions a year where designs are submitted for six months with a 1 month voting cycle for each.

Submissions would run from April 1 to October 1 with voting occurring during October. The second would run from October 1 to April 1 with voting held during April.

The competition will be open to all WRA2 members.

Should the general public be allowed to vote on the winners?

What kind of materials would we need to require for submission? video, drawings, photos...

Discussion welcome here in this thread.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: WRA2 Design and Fabrication Competition

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I have a question, seeing how the April 1 starting date is approaching. I was wondering if people were going to have to submit their designs to the contest, or if members could nominate the concepts that other members have designed.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I have a question, seeing how the April 1 starting date is approaching. I was wondering if people were going to have to submit their designs to the contest, or if members could nominate the concepts that other members have designed.
Hi Spaceman,

We never finalized the competition. The list was just a list of suggestions to start a discussion about creating the rules for the competition.

If you have some suggestions, please post them here so we can get a discussion going. We can always modify the start date once we get the rules finalized and approved. We could always go July - December and January - June or even have an annual competition where we do a "design of the year" PH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WRA2 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I have a question, seeing how the April 1 starting date is approaching. I was wondering if people were going to have to submit their designs to the contest, or if members could nominate the concepts that other members have designed.
Hi Spaceman,

We never finalized the competition. The list was just a list of suggestions to start a discussion about creating the rules for the competition.

If you have some suggestions, please post them here so we can get a discussion going. We can always modify the start date once we get the rules finalized and approved. We could always go July - December and January - June or even have an annual competition where we do a "design of the year" PH:

I was going to suggest that we consider having the entry into the contest based on a nomination rather than having people enter themselves. Some people are modest and won't put their own ideas into a contest like this. There are a lot of great ideas being posted and I think it would be cool to be able to nominate ideas I think are noteworthy!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"