Hi

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Mike J96

Hi

Post by Mike J96 »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I am from California. I got interested in water rockets when we did them in school science class. I have been looking at all the wonderful videos that there are on youtube but have one question. :W :W :W :W :W :W

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Since this seems to be the place to go for all the water rocket class definitions and competition rules exactly what classifies a rocket as high pressure? There are a lot of videos on youtube where the person calls their rocket a high pressure water rocket and I am confused. Are there certain pressure levels that muct be reached to classify the rocket as high pressure and are there special licenses needed to fly them? Is there an age limit?

Whaen I was looking at the competition rules it looked like it was not clearly defined.

P.S. I might be interested in the flight duration competition once I get the bugs out of my rocket and launcher designs.

Mike RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT:
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi

Post by WRA2 »

Mike J96 wrote:Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I am from California. I got interested in water rockets when we did them in school science class. I have been looking at all the wonderful videos that there are on youtube but have one question. :W :W :W :W :W :W

Since this seems to be the place to go for all the water rocket class definitions and competition rules exactly what classifies a rocket as high pressure? There are a lot of videos on youtube where the person calls their rocket a high pressure water rocket and I am confused. Are there certain pressure levels that muct be reached to classify the rocket as high pressure and are there special licenses needed to fly them? Is there an age limit?

Whaen I was looking at the competition rules it looked like it was not clearly defined.

P.S. I might be interested in the flight duration competition once I get the bugs out of my rocket and launcher designs.

Welcome to the forum Mike, :W

You bring up a good point about what is considered a high pressure water rocket and present us with an opportunity to create a set of definitions. I think that people tend to over exaggerate the capabilities of their rockets in their youtube descriptions in an attempt to "get more views". While a standard set of definitions (once most people start using these) won't prevent some joker from calling their rocket "high pressure", it will expose their intentions to over exaggerate their rockets capabilities.

The classifications will be defined as follows:

1. Normal water rocket: Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure of less than 250PSI

250PSI can be reached using inexpensive compressors and hand pumps.
Materials for reinforcement to achieve the upper limit are relatively inexpensive such as winding with tape, fishing line, fiberglass, tape, and layering the bottles.

2. Moderate pressure water rocket: (suggestions for a better name anyone?) Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure of 250PSI to 500PSI

These pressures can be achieved using moderately expensive compressors or bottled air.
Rockets will certainly need reinforcements to achieve this pressure range and the materials are moderately expensive such as Kevlar.

3. High pressure water rocket: Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure higher than 500PSI

These pressures are achieved using expensive compressors or bottled air
Rockets will certainly need reinforcements to achieve this pressure range and the materials are expensive such as Carbon Fiber.

Thank you for bringing this up as it may have implications as far as safety rules, minimum stand off distances,etc.

There are not really any age limits but it would be recommended that persons under 16 stick to standard rockets unless assisted by an adult.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Mike J96

Post by Mike J96 »

WRA2 wrote:
Mike J96 wrote:Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the forum Mike, :W

You bring up a good point about what is considered a high pressure water rocket and present us with an opportunity to create a set of definitions. I think that people tend to over exaggerate the capabilities of their rockets in their youtube descriptions in an attempt to "get more views". While a standard set of definitions (once most people start using these) won't prevent some joker from calling their rocket "high pressure", it will expose their intentions to over exaggerate their rockets capabilities.

The classifications will be defined as follows:

1. Normal water rocket: Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure of less than 250PSI

250PSI can be reached using inexpensive compressors and hand pumps.
Materials for reinforcement to achieve the upper limit are relatively inexpensive such as winding with tape, fishing line, fiberglass, tape, and layering the bottles.

2. Moderate pressure water rocket: (suggestions for a better name anyone?) Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure of 250PSI to 500PSI

These pressures can be achieved using moderately expensive compressors or bottled air.
Rockets will certainly need reinforcements to achieve this pressure range and the materials are moderately expensive such as Kevlar.

3. High pressure water rocket: Any water rocket regardless of construction material launched at a pressure higher than 500PSI

These pressures are achieved using expensive compressors or bottled air
Rockets will certainly need reinforcements to achieve this pressure range and the materials are expensive such as Carbon Fiber.

Thank you for bringing this up as it may have implications as far as safety rules, minimum stand off distances,etc.

There are not really any age limits but it would be recommended that persons under 16 stick to standard rockets unless assisted by an adult.
Thanks for the explanation,
TH: TH: TH: TH: TH:

I should have know it was just people pumping themselves up to get subscribers and views. PU:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
You guys should put those definitions on your website so that more people could see them..

I have a question about the flight duration competition. The rules say I can use a 2 liter or less bottle. Are there any recommended bottles or ones I should stay away from.

I am from the USA so the choices will be limited to what I can find at Wal-Mart

I didn't know that there was so many people flying these rockets until I found this site. I thought this was just something that everyone did in school and then forgot about.

Mike RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT:
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Mike J96 wrote:
I should have know it was just people pumping themselves up to get subscribers and views. PU:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
You guys should put those definitions on your website so that more people could see them..

I have a question about the flight duration competition. The rules say I can use a 2 liter or less bottle. Are there any recommended bottles or ones I should stay away from.

I am from the USA so the choices will be limited to what I can find at Wal-Mart

I didn't know that there was so many people flying these rockets until I found this site. I thought this was just something that everyone did in school and then forgot about.

Mike RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT: RAT:
Hello Mike,

If you wish to ask specific questions on what is allowed for the competitions or what kind of bottles to use, please use the Q & A forum:

http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

As for bottles, you should avoid bottles which did not contain carbonated drinks, especially water bottles as they are too thin and will explode at lower pressures. The competition allows for use of any 2 liter bottle (or less) that is not modified (which means you cannot reinforce it, shrink it, splice it, or change it's shape. Just remove the label and attach fins and a payload section and launch.

Good luck.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

LOL. If you ask us, anything under 1000PSI is "low".

I guess it's all relative.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison