New and looking for a launch site

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: New and looking for a launch site

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

teper wrote:oops I typed wrong. DOH: I meant to say, how do we use an accerometer to detect apogee.
That makes sense. The accelerometer method of apogee detection is preferred because it can tell much faster when the rocket has reversed direction than any other mode of detection. Even a MAD relies on the rocket to tilt over , which doesn't happen until the rocket has fallen backwards far enough to reach a speed where the fins can take effect.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Would an apogee detecting accelerometer suffer from the same problem as other gravity deployment systems due to a rapid deceleration after the thrust phase?
What is the way that accelerometers detect apogee, is it the reacceleration after apogee?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Brian wrote:Would an apogee detecting accelerometer suffer from the same problem as other gravity deployment systems due to a rapid deceleration after the thrust phase?
What is the way that accelerometers detect apogee, is it the reacceleration after apogee?
In simple terms, for my programming model design the detection is made so that it is expecting a large forward (up) acceleration followed by a gradual deceleration until acceleration begins to happen again (down). This takes care of the case where the rocket goes straight up, comes to a complete stop and falls back down as well as the situation where the rocket does not go straight up and it flies in a parabolic trajectory.
Bill W.
Team Seneca