Hello From Iowa

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Water Hog

Hello From Iowa

Post by Water Hog »

I recently started scratch building some Low Powered Rockets powered by Estes motors. My previous hobby of Fast Electric Radio Controlled Boats has pretty much gone to the wayside due to a lack of money and interest and I needed to replace it with something a little more affordable and easier to maintain, hence the reason I got into rockets. I played around with the Estes style rockets about 20 years ago and remembered how much fun they were. About a year ago a friend of mine told me to look up some videos called "water rockets". I did and I was real impressed with the performance that could be had from water and air. I watched a few tutorials on how to build them and thought well that's cool but way out of my league. The other day I was looking up some videos for installing an on board camera in a rocket as this is one of my next projects and happened to stumble across videos once again for water rockets. I must have sat there for an hour watching videos. I started to research how to build them and how to make a launcher. Turns out it's not as difficult as I thought if you have the parts and a few tools. Well one thing led to another and now I'm in the process of assembling a launcher with the intent of building a small simple rocket in the near future. This looks like a great site!
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello From Iowa

Post by Brian »

:W
Affordability is one of the redeeming features of water rocketry.
There are a few threads on cameras for onboard use here.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Water Hog

Post by Water Hog »

Thanks! I've got quite a bit of looking around to do on the site. Lot's of good info.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Hog wrote:I recently started scratch building some Low Powered Rockets powered by Estes motors. My previous hobby of Fast Electric Radio Controlled Boats has pretty much gone to the wayside due to a lack of money and interest and I needed to replace it with something a little more affordable and easier to maintain, hence the reason I got into rockets. I played around with the Estes style rockets about 20 years ago and remembered how much fun they were. About a year ago a friend of mine told me to look up some videos called "water rockets". I did and I was real impressed with the performance that could be had from water and air. I watched a few tutorials on how to build them and thought well that's cool but way out of my league. The other day I was looking up some videos for installing an on board camera in a rocket as this is one of my next projects and happened to stumble across videos once again for water rockets. I must have sat there for an hour watching videos. I started to research how to build them and how to make a launcher. Turns out it's not as difficult as I thought if you have the parts and a few tools. Well one thing led to another and now I'm in the process of assembling a launcher with the intent of building a small simple rocket in the near future. This looks like a great site!
This is a great story! That's the great thing about having a website, or blog, and posting videos and tutorials and that sort of thing. It's great to see that people are finding this stuff and getting interested!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the sport!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
teper
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by teper »

:W Welcome to the forum. Like others have said, there are a couple good threads about cameras. I too have sat for hours watching water rocket videos on youtube.