Greetings Y'all from South Carolina

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
UnionRocket

Greetings Y'all from South Carolina

Post by UnionRocket »

Bought my kid a WRocket powered car for Christmas. Full-Bore nozzle, charged with a rubber plug and needle valve. After about 30psi, the plug pops out and away she goes - about 60 feet.
After a wheel broke off, we turned our attention to aerial rockets. Not knowing much about the subject, our efforts were interesting, but not particulalry impressive.
Broached the subject with some of my work associates and we set to work. Our research on this, and other forums, indicated a need for more pressure and a means of securing the nozzle in a leak-proof manner while the device was being "charged". Also, a release mechanism was considered, as well as a smaller nozzle.
As the company machinist, I set to work. Understand, of course, this project must be undertaken in a discreet manner...
I made a "fork" release mechanism and machined a device with rubber washers which would hold the WRocket. Attached to the fork, we ran some 18ga wire for the Launch Technician to yank on. I also machined a nozzle with about a 9.75mm hole, loosely based on the de vaal nozzle.
Our first efforts were spectacular only in that the WRocket had NO stability. It would launch about 10 feet and then chase us around the back yard. It had fins, made from foam-board, Super-Glued and reinforced with Silicone RTV. Also, some guides were attached to the WRocket for guidance.
Our first succesful flight was after we determined that the center of gravity was too close to the center of thrust. This was rectified by installing a 5/16-18 bolt in the top bottle cap. Nuts were threaded on to add the requisite amount of weight and THEN, the device flew quite well. But only to about 60 feet
At the end of the day, and after more research, we determined that we were using too much water.
At home, I duplicated the WRocket design we had used at work, but with no restricting nozzle. About 1/3 of the bottle volume was filled with water. I also added 2 AA batteries to the top, inside the Nose-Cone addition, for weight.
So, full bore nozzle - 22mm, fins attached as close to the rear as possible, rubber stopper needle valve pressurization process...

Absolute SUCCESS !

The WRocket flew straight as an arrow. AMAZING height - probably 100 feet - no way to gauge it accurately except it easily cleared the trees in my back yard.

Immediately tried a 2nd flight - same amazing results.

I will try this device at work with the restricting nozzle and the capture device which will allow more pressure.

Next, parachute recovery AND camera...

Will try to provide photos later...

UnionRocket

So, I'm using
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings Y'all from South Carolina

Post by WRA2 »

UnionRocket wrote:Bought my kid a WRocket powered car for Christmas. Full-Bore nozzle, charged with a rubber plug and needle valve. After about 30psi, the plug pops out and away she goes - about 60 feet.
After a wheel broke off, we turned our attention to aerial rockets. Not knowing much about the subject, our efforts were interesting, but not particulalry impressive.
Broached the subject with some of my work associates and we set to work. Our research on this, and other forums, indicated a need for more pressure and a means of securing the nozzle in a leak-proof manner while the device was being "charged". Also, a release mechanism was considered, as well as a smaller nozzle.
As the company machinist, I set to work. Understand, of course, this project must be undertaken in a discreet manner...
I made a "fork" release mechanism and machined a device with rubber washers which would hold the WRocket. Attached to the fork, we ran some 18ga wire for the Launch Technician to yank on. I also machined a nozzle with about a 9.75mm hole, loosely based on the de vaal nozzle.
Our first efforts were spectacular only in that the WRocket had NO stability. It would launch about 10 feet and then chase us around the back yard. It had fins, made from foam-board, Super-Glued and reinforced with Silicone RTV. Also, some guides were attached to the WRocket for guidance.
Our first succesful flight was after we determined that the center of gravity was too close to the center of thrust. This was rectified by installing a 5/16-18 bolt in the top bottle cap. Nuts were threaded on to add the requisite amount of weight and THEN, the device flew quite well. But only to about 60 feet
At the end of the day, and after more research, we determined that we were using too much water.
At home, I duplicated the WRocket design we had used at work, but with no restricting nozzle. About 1/3 of the bottle volume was filled with water. I also added 2 AA batteries to the top, inside the Nose-Cone addition, for weight.
So, full bore nozzle - 22mm, fins attached as close to the rear as possible, rubber stopper needle valve pressurization process...

Absolute SUCCESS !

The WRocket flew straight as an arrow. AMAZING height - probably 100 feet - no way to gauge it accurately except it easily cleared the trees in my back yard.

Immediately tried a 2nd flight - same amazing results.

I will try this device at work with the restricting nozzle and the capture device which will allow more pressure.

Next, parachute recovery AND camera...

Will try to provide photos later...

UnionRocket
Welcome to The Water Rocket Forum! :W
UnionRocket wrote: So, I'm using
You left us all hanging SC: The sentence just ends, What are you using :?:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
UnionRocket

Post by UnionRocket »

So, I'm using...

Sorry 'bout that. Typo error.

In any case, I am painting a few more bottles for the purposes of joining two bottles together for the application of more waterair pressure.
Instead of purchasingacquiring a specialized coupling, I have machined a hole in a bolt. Then, we intend to use 2 L O N G socket wrench extensions to tighten the device to secure two 2L bottles together with silicone ruibber washers. This will be pressure tested before use.

The company I work for is very dedicated to the Scientific Method. That is, we will make ONE modification to the device, analyse the results, and then, proceed from there. This is crucial to realizing the MOST effective results.

I have noticed that many contributors to this site are also "on-board" with this. Their contributions have served to minimize the amount of effort many of us have needed to exert.

Thanks to ALL for this research...
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

:W
Experimentation with water rockets is always fun. It was great to read about the rocket being refined. What pressures are you using now?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

UnionRocket wrote:So, I'm using...

Sorry 'bout that. Typo error.

In any case, I am painting a few more bottles for the purposes of joining two bottles together for the application of more waterair pressure.
Instead of purchasingacquiring a specialized coupling, I have machined a hole in a bolt. Then, we intend to use 2 L O N G socket wrench extensions to tighten the device to secure two 2L bottles together with silicone ruibber washers. This will be pressure tested before use.

The company I work for is very dedicated to the Scientific Method. That is, we will make ONE modification to the device, analyse the results, and then, proceed from there. This is crucial to realizing the MOST effective results.

I have noticed that many contributors to this site are also "on-board" with this. Their contributions have served to minimize the amount of effort many of us have needed to exert.

Thanks to ALL for this research...
This IS rocket science!

Thanks for any testing you can share with the group as well.

Nice to have you on board!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Willem
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Willem »

Good luck with your progress!

Welcome :W
Willem
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Willem »