Thunder from down under (Australia)

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
AussieRocket
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thunder from down under (Australia)

Post by AussieRocket »

Hi, I was introduced into water rockets through a local church group. Two guys would launch the rockets. One would pump the bottle up, the other holding it, and when he felt the pressure was about right into the air it was hurtled. No launcher used at all. Talk about deadly. They would propel all over the place. I was missing my bike helmet. The activity didn't really appeal to me then. I was too fond of my body being intact.
Another opportunity arose 12 months later. I ended up helping a school teacher who had my daughter in her class. Started researching water rockets. Learnt they can be fun without approaching them as if they were rabid dogs.
Now, love it. Designed and built my own launcher. It's a cross breed of different methods found on the net. Looks a bit like an artillery piece.(Still have nightmares over the near misses upon introduction). Through trail and error I've designed simple rockets that are very successful. I've outgrown the local school oval as my testing ground. The rockets were sailing into the distance beyond the houses pass the oval. Opps, time to think about parachutes....
In the process of developing a blog/webpage sharing the adventures.....
Thanks,
Joe.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thunder from down under (Australia)

Post by WRA2 »

AussieRocket wrote:Hi, I was introduced into water rockets through a local church group. Two guys would launch the rockets. One would pump the bottle up, the other holding it, and when he felt the pressure was about right into the air it was hurtled. No launcher used at all. Talk about deadly. They would propel all over the place. I was missing my bike helmet. The activity didn't really appeal to me then. I was too fond of my body being intact.
Another opportunity arose 12 months later. I ended up helping a school teacher who had my daughter in her class. Started researching water rockets. Learnt they can be fun without approaching them as if they were rabid dogs.
Now, love it. Designed and built my own launcher. It's a cross breed of different methods found on the net. Looks a bit like an artillery piece.(Still have nightmares over the near misses upon introduction). Through trail and error I've designed simple rockets that are very successful. I've outgrown the local school oval as my testing ground. The rockets were sailing into the distance beyond the houses pass the oval. Opps, time to think about parachutes....
Thanks,
Joe.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the water rocket forum :W and the WRA2 :WRA2:

We look forward to your contributions!
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

:W
Good to see the church isn't only spreading the good news.
Your launcher sound interesting, can you post pictures?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

AussieRocket wrote:Hi, I was introduced into water rockets through a local church group. Two guys would launch the rockets. One would pump the bottle up, the other holding it, and when he felt the pressure was about right into the air it was hurtled. No launcher used at all. Talk about deadly. They would propel all over the place. I was missing my bike helmet. The activity didn't really appeal to me then. I was too fond of my body being intact.
Thanks,
Joe.
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the club! Your launcher sounds really interesting. Could you describe it in more detail or post some pictures or videos?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
AussieRocket
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by AussieRocket »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys & girls.
I'll take some photos first of the launcher and then some rockets I've made. Down the track when I have the time I'll do a short video of the launcher in action. Also for those who are interested I'll do a "how to build them" series. Not that hard really.
The launcher is made of quarter inch plate. My brother thought I was building a surface-to-air missile system. I'm ex-navy you see....
cheers,
Joe.