an italian water rocketer

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
da-water

an italian water rocketer

Post by da-water »

hi, my name's da-water and i'm an italian water rocketer...
i started building and launching water rockets last year and now i've learned a lot of things...
i'm getting ready to build my first parachute and bigger rockets but i'll talk about this in the apposity section...

i hope you will help me and i will help you in water rockets troubles

p.s.: i'm sorry for my not perfect english but i'm only a student and i study english at school... :D
sporter2k5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: an italian water rocketer

Post by sporter2k5 »

da-water wrote:hi, my name's da-water and i'm an italian water rocketer...
i started building and launching water rockets last year and now i've learned a lot of things...
i'm getting ready to build my first parachute and bigger rockets but i'll talk about this in the apposity section...

p.s.: i'm sorry for my not perfect english but i'm only a student and i study english at school... :D
Hi there! Welcome to this forum! I can understand your english perfectly so don't worry!
Steve
sporter2k5#NOSPAM#@gmail.com
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: an italian water rocketer

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

da-water wrote:hi, my name's da-water and i'm an italian water rocketer...

Welcom to the forum, Da-Water. Nice to meet you. It will be great to learn what materials and components that you have in Italy that are unique to your country.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
da-water

Post by da-water »

thanks to all...
if you are interested in watching my water rockets you can do it on you tube searching for " D.D. ROCKETS "
there are my first videos of my small rockets of 1,5 litres capacity, at 8BAR(about 114PSI ) they arrive at about 70/75 metres
i'm going to build a 2,4 litres rocket and then a 7,2 litres one..
i could do this in a few days but i've always to study for school or to do something and so i'm very busy and i need much time to finish my new rockets...

in italy we launch small rockets of 1,5 litres over than 100metres(up to 328feet) at 12/13bar(180PSI) and there are also who launch at 16bar(220psi)!!! we use PET water bottle...but not all arrive to 12 bar!!
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

da-water wrote:thanks to all...
if you are interested in watching my water rockets you can do it on you tube searching for " D.D. ROCKETS "
there are my first videos of my small rockets of 1,5 litres capacity, at 8BAR(about 114PSI ) they arrive at about 70/75 metres
i'm going to build a 2,4 litres rocket and then a 7,2 litres one..
i could do this in a few days but i've always to study for school or to do something and so i'm very busy and i need much time to finish my new rockets...

in italy we launch small rockets of 1,5 litres over than 100metres(up to 328feet) at 12/13bar(180PSI) and there are also who launch at 16bar(220psi)!!! we use PET water bottle...but not all arrive to 12 bar!!
Hi da-water! I am going to go check out those videos! I just have to ask you if you really use water bottles for your rockets. Here in USA we have different bottles for carbonated beverages like Coke, and Pepsi, and uncarbonated beverages like juice, tea, & water. The bottles that have carbonated drinks are very strong and hold up to around 160PSI. They are meant to be returned to the store where they send them to be ground up and made into something else. We have very few bottles that hold higher pressures. They are mostly from places that take them back and sterilize them and refill them. These reusable bottles are a lit thicker than the kind they don't refill. But these are hard to find. However, the kind of bottles that water and other non carbonated drinks come in are really weak and thin. They don't hold much pressure at all!

So I was wondering which type of bottles are common there.
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
da-water

Post by da-water »

here there are the same types of bottles...
almost all bottles for uncarbonated beverages don't hold up to 100/110psi.. sometime they don't hold up to 80/90 because they are made by recycled pet and are very thin..
the best bottles are the same: pepsi, fanta(around165psi) and coke(over170psi).We also use the american tape in our rockets so they add 30/40psi at their pressure limit.
there is a water bottle called "uliveto" that is fantastic:
1)it's made by NOT recycled pet;
2)it's more aerodynamic than coke.
Attachments
ulivetoto.jpg
this is one of my first rockets.. now i do they better... :D
this is one of my first rockets.. now i do they better... :D
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Very nice shape you have made for that fuselage. I also like your fin design and the way you have fit them to the curve of the rocket. Are they made from foam?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
da-water

Post by da-water »

the fins are made from PP. I buy it 50cm*100cm*2,5mm at 2,5€(about 3,65$).it's less than 3grams a fin...
i've glued them with the glue-gun (high temperature glue).
That fins are an old model, now i've build one better.. :D

as soon as i build the new 2,4 litres rocket i will post it... it could take much time because i must do the parachute system first.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

da-water wrote:the fins are made from PP. I buy it 50cm*100cm*2,5mm at 2,5€(about 3,65$).it's less than 3grams a fin...
i've glued them with the glue-gun (high temperature glue).
That fins are an old model, now i've build one better.. :D

as soon as i build the new 2,4 litres rocket i will post it... it could take much time because i must do the parachute system first.
What is PP? Is that Polyproplene plastic sheet? Is it rigid or is it flexible? My team makes our fins from fiberflass because it does not bend. We think that our earlier fin designs were too flexible and then we had trouble with "flutter" where the fins vibrate due to air turbulence and that was causing a loss of altitude.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
da-water

Post by da-water »

yes it's rigid, here in Italy this material is used to build the school bag for artistic.. it's also used in industry but that is made from pvc it's bigger and it weighs a lot...

we have got also another material called depron that is much better (1/3 in weight) but it's also more flexible.... i haven't found it yet
Attachments
images[5].jpg
images[5].jpg (1.42 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

da-water wrote:yes it's rigid, here in Italy this material is used to build the school bag for artistic.. it's also used in industry but that is made from pvc it's bigger and it weighs a lot...

we have got also another material called depron that is much better (1/3 in weight) but it's also more flexible.... i haven't found it yet
Thanks. I like the picture of the depron material. It looks like they have made it like a corrugated cardboard box with a lot of air space inside. It looks strong. I will see if anyone I know of knows where to get it!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
da-water

Post by da-water »

it isn't depron.... PP is more rigid than depron..
It looks like they have made it like a corrugated cardboard box
exatly!!! i couldn't how to describe it so i posted an image.. you have understood perfectly... it's used by students..

I measured the weight and it's about 0,042g per cm^2... not bad at all :D
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

da-water wrote:it isn't depron.... PP is more rigid than depron..
It looks like they have made it like a corrugated cardboard box
exatly!!! i couldn't how to describe it so i posted an image.. you have understood perfectly... it's used by students..

I measured the weight and it's about 0,042g per cm^2... not bad at all :D
I looked around and I see that a lot of hobby sites sell material like this under different names. I have been looking at foam core material or balse wood for use in my deploy system. The problem with balsa is that it is expensive and fragile. The problem with foam is that you have to glue everything to it because screws pull out too easily. With something like this I think I could make a very lightweight structure that holds my servo and some electronics and won't come apart under stress. Thank for the tip!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
da-water

Post by da-water »

ur welcome
what's the servo and electronics for? parachute deployment??
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

da-water wrote:ur welcome
what's the servo and electronics for? parachute deployment??
We have a compartment that holds a camera, a timer, and a servo that opens the door that deploys our parachute. When we have this working reliable every time then we will also put an altimeter inside as well. The circuit boards all have small holes that are intended to screw them to a bulkhead or something. The idea is to screw the boards to the structure of the compartment and this material looks perfect for that!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise