launcher help

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
JohnCompton
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

launcher help

Post by JohnCompton »

I am looking to build a launcher for simultaneous multiple wr competition for some scouts. Any help, plans, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: launcher help

Post by Blenderite »

It sounds like you want a launcher that has multiple rockets on it that you can launch at the same time. If this is what you want, it is fairly straight forward. Simply build a large base, out of wood, metal, plexiglass, anything really, and attach several launch tubes to it. Here is a idea I came up with fairly quickly.
multi-rocket launcher.png
Hope that helps.
-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DogLover wrote:It sounds like you want a launcher that has multiple rockets on it that you can launch at the same time. If this is what you want, it is fairly straight forward. Simply build a large base, out of wood, metal, plexiglass, anything really, and attach several launch tubes to it. Here is a idea I came up with fairly quickly.
Hope that helps.
-DogLover
That's a nice illustration. One change you could make is to change it so that all the launch tubes are connected to a single manifold so that they all have the same pressure. If the idea is to have a competition, then it would be a great way to insure that each rocket has the same pressure as all of the others.

You could make a launcher with 5 launch tubes and fire the rockets 5 at a time. You take the winners from each round after 5 rounds and then fly the 5 winners to determine the champion. (Adjust the number of rounds based on the number of competitors, if needed).
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Spartan117
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Spartan117 »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
DogLover wrote:It sounds like you want a launcher that has multiple rockets on it that you can launch at the same time. If this is what you want, it is fairly straight forward. Simply build a large base, out of wood, metal, plexiglass, anything really, and attach several launch tubes to it. Here is a idea I came up with fairly quickly.
Hope that helps.
-DogLover
That's a nice illustration. One change you could make is to change it so that all the launch tubes are connected to a single manifold so that they all have the same pressure. If the idea is to have a competition, then it would be a great way to insure that each rocket has the same pressure as all of the others.

You could make a launcher with 5 launch tubes and fire the rockets 5 at a time. You take the winners from each round after 5 rounds and then fly the 5 winners to determine the champion. (Adjust the number of rounds based on the number of competitors, if needed).
You would need to launch all rockets at one time or put valves between them so if you launch them in sequence you can cut off the pressure from escaping the empty launcher.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I am working on something similar. It will have 5 launch tubes using o-rings instead of swells. The bottles will be held in place by a 4 foot section of angle iron. The angle iron will have slots cut in it precisely the width of the bottle neck above the plastic ring. The angle iron will be attached to the lanch platform with hinges. A tension spring will keep the angle iron "snapped shut" for safety. To relase, the launcher person will just pull a cord attached to the angle bar. This should release all rockets at the exact same time and help minimize pressure losses for late lanchers.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.