Hi from Spain

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Antoniohrm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hi from Spain

Post by Antoniohrm »

Hi, i'm now designing my first water rocket i wouldn't reject any help, great site! :)

Sorry for my english, I try to learn as much as I can.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hi from Spain

Post by Brian »

:W
Your english was fine. What do you have in mind for your design?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Antoniohrm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Antoniohrm »

I'm not really sure, it's my first rocket and I'm not sure on what would be the easier thing, of course I imagine single stage are much easier to build, but I don't know what capacity should I use, and the biggest doubt, how to make a release system?
Is the one on the photo reliable? Thanks!
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2012-12-20 a la(s) 19.18.43.png
Captura de pantalla 2012-12-20 a la(s) 19.18.43.png (592.49 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

That is a very interesting design you are using to hold the rocket to the pad! I have never seen a release mechanism quite like that! Also how does the copper work for a launch tube? I have thought of using copper to make a launchpad using it. It looks like you got a nice system going. One thing: Do you have a one way valve to prevent the water from going up the air hose and potentially destroying you air pump? I can see that you have a Schrader or Presta valve there but from my experience, water can leak past those, which ruined one of my bike pumps. Keep up the good work!!!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Antoniohrm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Antoniohrm »

Actually, that system isn´t mine, I've taken it from a video ( but I was searching for some systems and I thought that would possibly work, but looking closely, that's not too sure, I mean, the plastic "ring" may break? I can´t explain you how it's made, sorry, but in the video I guess they explain it, so if you need any translation, please tell me. So, what method do you use for it? Thanks!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Antoniohrm wrote:Actually, that system isn´t mine, I've taken it from a video ( but I was searching for some systems and I thought that would possibly work, but looking closely, that's not too sure, I mean, the plastic "ring" may break? I can´t explain you how it's made, sorry, but in the video I guess they explain it, so if you need any translation, please tell me. So, what method do you use for it? Thanks!
That looks like a nice simple design- 4 L brackets with a bent piece of wire passing through the top screw holes. As long as you get big/thick enough brackets, and thick enough wire, that should be a reliable release mechanism.

Myself, I wouldn't use copper but if you have experience in soldering, already own a torch, that would be just fine. Threaded pipe is an easier way to go if you are not familiar with joining copper.

I like being able to load both water and air from the launch pipe so I have a Y connector that feeds in water first, then air. Makes launching much easier.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

It looks like a great design. I wouldn't worry about the plastic ring breaking. They are very strong. I think it is a great method.

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Antoniohrm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Antoniohrm »

I think I'll use that method, soldering cupper isn't a problem and it's easy and simple. About the capacity of the rocket and the desing, any suggestions?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Antoniohrm wrote:I think I'll use that method, soldering cupper isn't a problem and it's easy and simple. About the capacity of the rocket and the desing, any suggestions?
That design is very effective. There are a lot of tutorials that teach that style of release. Nobody every complains about the plastic ring breaking off. The only thing that could be a concern is the long brackets try to lean over when you pull the release and it can bind on the u-shaped release, making it hard to pull. Many people do this kind of design, but they use eye bolts in place of the L brackets.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Antoniohrm wrote:I think I'll use that method, soldering cupper isn't a problem and it's easy and simple. About the capacity of the rocket and the desing, any suggestions?
That design is very effective. There are a lot of tutorials that teach that style of release. Nobody every complains about the plastic ring breaking off. The only thing that could be a concern is the long brackets try to lean over when you pull the release and it can bind on the u-shaped release, making it hard to pull. Many people do this kind of design, but they use eye bolts in place of the L brackets.

Ooh good point. Eyebolts would work better.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.