Hello from Minnesota

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hello from Minnesota

Post by bugwubber »

Hello,
I'm a Den Leader for a local Cub Scout pack. We had our first water rocket derby this last summer. Here's my onboard video from that event. I should point out this is a Matchbox Video Camera strapped on to the side of a 2l Coke bottle rocket. It runs at 30 or 60fps but this footage was accidently shot at 30fps. The audio on the car is not good. There is no parachute. We were launching at 50-75psi so probably topping out around 70ft. The nosecone was made out of spray foam.

Our main air compressor gave out on us during the event and I couldn't hook my 12v compressor to the launch platform, so I switched over to my hand held PVC stick
launcher for the last 15 min.

[youtube][/youtube]

I have to say, a hot summer day, the stick launcher is a lot of fun.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from Minnesota

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Hello,
I'm a Den Leader for a local Cub Scout pack. We had our first water rocket derby this last summer. Here's my onboard video from that event. I should point out this is a Matchbox Video Camera strapped on to the side of a 2l Coke bottle rocket. It runs at 30 or 60fps but this footage was accidently shot at 30fps. The audio on the car is not good. There is no parachute. We were launching at 50-75psi so probably topping out around 70ft. The nosecone was made out of spray foam.

Our main air compressor gave out on us during the event and I couldn't hook my 12v compressor to the launch platform, so I switched over to my hand held PVC stick
launcher for the last 15 min.

[youtube][/youtube]

I have to say, a hot summer day, the stick launcher is a lot of fun.

Thanks,

Bugwubber

What is the brand and model of the camera you are using?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from Minnesota

Post by bugwubber »

What is the brand and model of the camera you are using?
Matchbox Video Camera Car

Here it is on Mattel's site. I think I bought it on clearance for $8 or something at a local store.

http://shop.mattel.com/product/index.js ... d=11743036

It has a tiny video screen on the bottom so you can immediately review captured footage after launch. It is not waterproof but deals with the shock of non parachute landings pretty well. I ordered extra protective cases when I smashed one sledding. Fairly light weight for a camera since it uses an internal rechargeable battery.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.