I'm new to water rocketry and this forum, and I need help

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Deshooter135

I'm new to water rocketry and this forum, and I need help

Post by Deshooter135 »

Hello, I am a budding water rocket engineer, but I have have a lot of problems. Here is the full list: 1) I have no proper launch platform 2) I am using a balloon pump to pressurize, and I am pretty sure it is insufficient 3) I cannot get the water level right. I fill it up to about 1/3, but it will not take off, it just sprays water until the air runs out, and there is usually residual water inside the rocket. Help?
Oh one more thing. Can someone tell me how to easily obtain 2L bottles? My family does not drink a lot of soda.
Thank You For your Time! TH: TH: TH: TH:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: I'm new to water rocketry and this forum, and I need hel

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Deshooter135 wrote:Hello, I am a budding water rocket engineer, but I have have a lot of problems. Here is the full list: 1) I have no proper launch platform 2) I am using a balloon pump to pressurize, and I am pretty sure it is insufficient 3) I cannot get the water level right. I fill it up to about 1/3, but it will not take off, it just sprays water until the air runs out, and there is usually residual water inside the rocket. Help?
Oh one more thing. Can someone tell me how to easily obtain 2L bottles? My family does not drink a lot of soda.
Thank You For your Time! TH: TH: TH: TH:
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your problem is probably simply the pump cannot make enough pressure to lift the rocket. You have the right water level, so the pump has to be the issue. Get a cheap bike pump or one of the little electric pumps you throw in your car trunk to fill flat tires.

If you want to build a proper launcher, we have tutorials for that on our website: http://www.USWaterRockets.com/tutorials
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

Welcome Deshooter,

You have been bitten by the Water Rocket Bug. Addiction is certain. Resistance is futile.
Questions 1, 2, and 3 can easily be answered by visiting the tutorials of http://www.USWaterRockets.com and http://www.AirCommandRockets.com. They both provide several great youtube videos as well, and I blame them both for what they got me in to.

I find most of my bottles in the trash of a local apartment complex, the more dumpsters they have, the better your odds of finding them. I bring a wire hanger with me to help fish them out. Also, check to see if there is a recycling facility near you. I got about a dozen bottles just walking around the place.... and no one suspects you're taking materials out when you leave. Asking permission can't help either, I'll try that myself next time.

I also have friends at work that save SmartWater Bottles, Sparkling Ice bottles (my favorites), as well as a variety of 2L soda bottles.

This is Mission Control, and you are GO for launch.
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

For your current pump, try much less water- like 1/4 cup to start. 1/4 - 1/3 of total volume Is the optimal level but only with higher (30+ psi) air pressure. I Agree that a balloon pump just isn't going to get you very far.
Good luck!

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Deshooter, got your PM, since it was a general question, I'll answer it here for the benefit of others as well.

1. The EASIEST way to obtain soda bottles is to go to your local store and buy 10 of either your favorite drink or the cheapest. Dump it out if you don't want to drink it. For $10-$18 that's still quite a deal for a reusable model rocket.

2. As far as tips on splicing, the responses above include links to a wealth of info on how to do this. But you've got to put the cart back behind the horse and solve your stated supply and launcher issues first.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Deshooter, got your PM, since it was a general question, I'll answer it here for the benefit of others as well.

1. The EASIEST way to obtain soda bottles is to go to your local store and buy 10 of either your favorite drink or the cheapest. Dump it out if you don't want to drink it. For $10-$18 that's still quite a deal for a reusable model rocket.

2. As far as tips on splicing, the responses above include links to a wealth of info on how to do this. But you've got to put the cart back behind the horse and solve your stated supply and launcher issues first.

Bugwubber
Pro Tip:
Buy the cheapest drinks you can find. Look for the in-store generic soda. It's typically bottled in the same plants that bottle coke and pepsi, and the bottles are made the same way from the same preforms. The cheap brands are often cheaper than bottled water!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Deshooter135

Post by Deshooter135 »

Hi guys, 5 months later, but I've finally gotten the basics down! I really appreciate the fact that everyone here was willing to help the new guy. Now that I can get over 50 foot launches on a regular basis, I feel ready to push onward and upward! Today I tried to find the parts for a Katz Stager Mk. 3, but they were not at Harbor Freight. Is there anywhere I can get all the stuff I need?