Hello From Kauai!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello From Kauai!

Post by WRA2 »

HawaiiRockets wrote:The rocket doesn't have any metal .... that metal bar was attached to the launcher
That is good news.

The statement of caution about the metal parts was "in general" since the topic came up in this thread as many people build designs from that site. At some point we should come up with a list of "recommended sites" for "how to's" with the emphasis being on being class legal and safe (meeting the competition and safety rules) so that people don't unwittingly build something unsafe or be disqualified from a record submission just because they built a design using metal parts. (this includes screws, hooks, rivets, nuts, bolts, rings, washers, fins, nozzles, tanks, couplers, tornado tubes etc.). Even the launch rail made from metal is not such a good idea as it resides next to the pressurized part of the rocket. Make sure it is securely attached to the base of the launcher so that it cannot become a projectile should your rocket explode while on the launcher. An even better solution is to utilize an internal launch tube instead.

Happy launching! PH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

WRA2 wrote:
DogLover wrote:It looks like you have browsed around Air Commands site. Your rocket and your pad resembles his designs very well. Good job!!!!
The metal spear running along the side of the rocket is a dead giveaway. :explode:

Just don't be anywhere near the thing when it is pressurized.

I use a long fiberglass spear.

The end result would be the same, given an accident you imply.
Nick and Dad B.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Nick B wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
DogLover wrote:It looks like you have browsed around Air Commands site. Your rocket and your pad resembles his designs very well. Good job!!!!
The metal spear running along the side of the rocket is a dead giveaway. :explode:

Just don't be anywhere near the thing when it is pressurized.

I use a long fiberglass spear.

The end result would be the same, given an accident you imply.
Nick,

Yes but if you are maintaining proper distance from the pressurized rocket you will be safe and with the fiberglass, you would comply with the rules of rocketry (not just ours but the NAR TI: as well).
Lisa Walker,
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

HawaiiRockets wrote:The rocket doesn't have any metal .... that metal bar was attached to the launcher
It's always puzzled us why new people conclude that they need a massive Saturn V launch tower with gantries to launch water rockets. Anything more than an adjustable launch tube is merely overkill. We set world records with 3 pieces of scrap wood nailed together, with a launch tube fixed to it. Our advice would be to invest the time and money into the rockets and payloads. Don't get sucked into the "my launcher can beat up your launcher" wars.

That doesn't mean your launcher has to be poorly engineered or lack innovations. Our "scrap wood" launcher pioneered the Removable Launch tube and Split collar designs that are in common use today.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
It's always puzzled us why new people conclude that they need a massive Saturn V launch tower with gantries to launch water rockets. Anything more than an adjustable launch tube is merely overkill. We set world records with 3 pieces of scrap wood nailed together, with a launch tube fixed to it. Our advice would be to invest the time and money into the rockets and payloads. Don't get sucked into the "my launcher can beat up your launcher" wars.

That doesn't mean your launcher has to be poorly engineered or lack innovations. Our "scrap wood" launcher pioneered the Removable Launch tube and Split collar designs that are in common use today.
Do gardena rockets need a longer rail since they appear to accelerate slower?

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

bugwubber wrote: ......since they appear to accelerate slower?

Bugwubber

You mean, like.......when they almost tip over and fall on their side before they reach a speed where the fins start to actually work......

...............Heck yeah.
Nick and Dad B.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

HawaiiRockets wrote:I have become rather inspired by the concept of water rocketry, along with associated YouTube videos and the site AirCommandRockets.com.. I've recently been building most every day after I finally got over the hurdle of chute deployment (turns out I had two bad MSP430 chips). My goal is to build something that no one has thought of yet which I will post on my YouTube channel for all to see. Currently I'm constructing a rail type launcher, have several spliced and reinforced bottles and deployment capsules ready to go.

Good stuff here.

8)
Nick and Dad B.
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

hey you people really need to loosen up
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

WRA2 wrote:
Nick B wrote: If you launch long heavy multiple 2 liter assemblies, a long sturdy rail and pad system is a defacto requirement to prevent the killing of innocent nearby objects like the neighbors dog, SUV, bay windows, with errant rockets turn cruise missile.
If you are worrying about the safety of the neighbors SUV, you should be reconsidering the size of your launch site or building smaller rockets. The nozzle size should also be increased if there is a danger of an unstable flight.

I concur.
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Yes but you get plenty of looks driving down the road to the lauch site when you've got 300lbs of launch system strapped to your car. ;-)
DSC09872.jpg
DSC09872.jpg (441.83 KiB) Viewed 28 times
DSC09933.jpg
DSC09933.jpg (280.67 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

That is a lot of stuff strapped to your car!!! You need a F-150 to haul it almost!!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

bugwubber wrote:
Yes but you get plenty of looks driving down the road to the lauch site when you've got 300lbs of launch system strapped to your car. ;-)
DSC09872.jpg
DSC09933.jpg
Bugwubber

:lol: 8)

That's just Pimp. Hail: WO:
Nick and Dad B.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

HawaiiRockets wrote:hey you people really need to loosen up
Sorry that this diverged into an argument HJ:

The argument has been moved to it's own thread:
If you were participating in the discussion, it can be found at:

http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 028#p15028

Now the thread can be back on topic.
Lisa Walker,
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

Yeah can't let the newbies get too upety and challenge ur status right?
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

WRA2 wrote:
That is good news.

The statement of caution about the metal parts was "in general" since the topic came up in this thread as many people build designs from that site. At some point we should come up with a list of "recommended sites" for "how to's" with the emphasis being on being class legal and safe (meeting the competition and safety rules) so that people don't unwittingly build something unsafe or be disqualified from a record submission just because they built a design using metal parts. (this includes screws, hooks, rivets, nuts, bolts, rings, washers, fins, nozzles, tanks, couplers, tornado tubes etc.). Even the launch rail made from metal is not such a good idea as it resides next to the pressurized part of the rocket. Make sure it is securely attached to the base of the launcher so that it cannot become a projectile should your rocket explode while on the launcher. An even better solution is to utilize an internal launch tube instead.

Happy launching! PH:
I have no concern with class recognition I am doing this for fun ... I've been launched off air craft carriers, handled in flight emergencies in the black of night over the ocean. Many of my friends are not alive today but I managed to survive. I think I can manage a rocket filled with water and air just fine