Salutations from the north

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Salutations from the north

Post by mazuzuri »

Hello

My name is Jens Larsen, 22 year old college student from Denmark.
I recently decided that i would like to try my hands at rocket building as a hobby, due to the strict rules in Denmark on this subject i decided water rocketry would give me the best chance since unlike chemical rockets, waterrockets arent regulated.
I have so far never made a water rocket myself from the base, but i have launched a couple a fair number of years ago.
I will be starting my water rocketry fun this summer were i plan on constructing my first launcher and a few 4 liter rockets to get a feel for making them and to get some practice.

In time im hoping to make some very large rockets and try my hands at different recovery systems, with the ultimate goal of maybe even trying for a few record attempts and the formation of a water rocket club in Denmark.
As such i hope to be able to learn a lot from the experienced people on this site, and i hope to have fun... lots and lots of fun.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Salutations from the north

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello mazusuri,

I completely agree with your philosophy- Water Rockets are great fun, cheap and as you say unregulated!

You can branch out with this hobby, incorporating so many others hobbies such as electronics and onboard photography! Trying lots of different types of release system also sounds good to find the one for you!

I myself would also like to start a Rocketry club here in the UK as there are very few :(

Browse the topics in the forum and visit as many websites as you can to help build your knowledge of this great hobby. Welcome!

Cheers Jamie B.
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by mazuzuri »

Thanks for the welcome.

I hope mine will be a long and fun stay here.
I have already browsed through a large number of rocket sites and different threads here, you got to love the free time holidays give. :)

I hope you get to start your club, in Denmark there is only really 2 clubs/associations for rocketry.
One is DARK or Danish Amateur Rocket Klub, they mainly focus on pyrotechnic rockets. The other is Copenhagen Suborbital, a group of People who are trying to get denmark on the elite list of countrys having sent manned flights into space, that is also a very interesting site to follow theirs.
In just 6 years they went from nothing to launching their first potential 100km launch sometime this summer.
All that is done purely through their own money, crowd funding and donations.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

mazuzuri wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

I hope mine will be a long and fun stay here.
I have already browsed through a large number of rocket sites and different threads here, you got to love the free time holidays give. :)

I hope you get to start your club, in Denmark there is only really 2 clubs/associations for rocketry.
One is DARK or Danish Amateur Rocket Klub, they mainly focus on pyrotechnic rockets. The other is Copenhagen Suborbital, a group of People who are trying to get denmark on the elite list of countrys having sent manned flights into space, that is also a very interesting site to follow theirs.
In just 6 years they went from nothing to launching their first potential 100km launch sometime this summer.
All that is done purely through their own money, crowd funding and donations.
That's a fascinating story. Very interesting to hear they want to send a man to space. Are they doing it like SpaceShip One with a rocket powered plane, or are they going to use a standard ballistic rocket and parachute recovery?

Wasn't there a guy in the southern US who was trying to launch himself into space a few years back and his plan was to jump out of the rocket with a parachute on the way down from a ballistic flight?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by mazuzuri »

That's a fascinating story. Very interesting to hear they want to send a man to space. Are they doing it like SpaceShip One with a rocket powered plane, or are they going to use a standard ballistic rocket and parachute recovery?

Wasn't there a guy in the southern US who was trying to launch himself into space a few years back and his plan was to jump out of the rocket with a parachute on the way down from a ballistic flight?
They are making a good old fashioned ballistic rocket, and then a parachute recovery. Currently their biggest rocket is a 65 cm diameter 10.6 meter rocket.
They are launching from the middle of the baltic sea, that way they don't need to go through the hassle of getting launch permissions from the government, which they probably wouldn't seeing as how in Denmark it's barely legas to launch the smallest of hobby rockets.

It sounds interesting, but i don't recall reading anything about that, then again i don't really do any active searches for such things, and unless it is very big news we barely get anything about other countries on the news over here.