Hey everyone need some help with my rocket specifically with the nozzel

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
xghostkillax

Hey everyone need some help with my rocket specifically with the nozzel

Post by xghostkillax »

I am doing a project for school for physics actually. What I'm trying to investigate is what size of nozzel is best for height. I am planning to use around 1/3 of water for it. But I am having trouble with the launcher because I am planning to use just a bottle cap with a hole since it is the most convenient nozzle to switch from and to. Any suggestions for how to launch it and keep the water from spiling out?? Thanks
xghostkillax

Re: Hey everyone need some help with my rocket specifically with the nozzel

Post by xghostkillax »

[quote="xghostkillax"]I am doing a project for school for physics actually. What I'm trying to investigate is what size of nozzel is best for height. I am planning to use around 1/3 of water for it. But I am having trouble with the launcher because I am planning to use just a bottle cap with a hole since it is the most convenient nozzle to switch from and to. Any suggestions for how to launch it and keep the water from spiling out?? I found a launcher which is what I'm looking for BUT I have to make it my self. The launcher I found is from the antigravity research and it is called versatile launcher anyone know how to make it?? Thanks
RaketfuedRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaketfuedRockets »

Hey there,
I would suggest you to use a Gardena style nozzle or no nozzle at all.
If you're building just a small rocket (1-2L), 9mm nozzles are just fine, but if the rocket is bigger a 15mm nozzle or no nozzle is a lot better.
If you want to make a 9mm nozzle, just use the standart tap nut adaptor. Getting the big "maxi flow" 15mm tap nut adaptor can be a bit difficult, depending on your location.
Just glue the bottle cap with a hole into it using epoxy, and everything should work great. (Don't forget to remove the seal from the adaptor before!).
You can also use no nozzle at all. For this type of water rocket, you need a full bore launcher.
There are plenty of tutorials out there for every of this option, here are some of them:

1) 9mm Nozzle + launcher + small rocket:
[youtube][/youtube]

2) 15mm Nozzle + launcher:
[youtube][/youtube]

3) Clark cable tie launcher [by USWR]:
[youtube][/youtube]

Greetings
Julian from Team Raketfued
RaketfuedRockets - Building water rockets since 2011
Check out our YouTube-Channel: www.youtube.com/Raketfued
Check out our website: www.raketfuedrockets.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/RaketfuedRockets
xghostkillax

Post by xghostkillax »

Hi Julian. Thanks for the videos they have helped a lot. Do you happen to know how to easily switch the nozzle size?? Since I need to reasearch which nozzle size is best and I want to use the same launcher for each nozzle if it is possible

Thanks
RaketfuedRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaketfuedRockets »

xghostkillax wrote:Hi Julian. Thanks for the videos they have helped a lot. Do you happen to know how to easily switch the nozzle size?? Since I need to reasearch which nozzle size is best and I want to use the same launcher for each nozzle if it is possible

Thanks
You can glue a small pipe into the 15mm nozzle to get a smaller opening, but this will not work with the cable tie launcher.
You should be able to build an adaptor between the cable tie launcher and a gardena style mechanism.
RaketfuedRockets - Building water rockets since 2011
Check out our YouTube-Channel: www.youtube.com/Raketfued
Check out our website: www.raketfuedrockets.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/RaketfuedRockets
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

It sounds to me like this might be a good opportunity to use the Anti-Gravity Research method. Since you are not looking to break any altitude records, I think this would be the easiest/quickest way to change nozzle sizes.

They use plastic tubing (aquarium tubing/fuel line tubing) and bottle caps with holes drilled just barely smaller than the diameter of the tubing. You could easily swap out tubing sizes and drill new caps.

Here is the website:
http://antigravityresearch.com/

Here is their youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuFkC ... NBBRmTB6uQ
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
xghostkillax

Post by xghostkillax »

Hi Blenderite, do you happen to have a video or an explanation on how to build the plastic tubing? And also where to buy it?? It would be awesome thanks !!!
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Here is AntiGravity's assembly video which shows pretty well how the tubing/bottle cap system works.

[youtube][/youtube]

If you need more help, let me know.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
NeptuneRockets

Post by NeptuneRockets »

Here is a simulator that I use to get estimates for my rockets they allow you to put in ranges which can be used to find the optimal height
http://cjh.polyplex.org/rockets/simulation/
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

eieikuean wrote:but this will not work with the cable tie launcher.
gclub online
The cable ties aren't needed for that type of launch device. Of course your safety options are limited with that style since it WILL launch once you stop pressurizing.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

So are you really gonna research on the optimal rocket nozzle size? Looks like you'll need a LOT of work to get the results. But I advise you to use nozzle inserts made out of some PVC pipe to get 5mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, and full bore without the insert.
Oh and the launcher? Outside sealing CCT (Clark Cable Tie) launcher. Tutorial is here: http://www.water-rockets.com/article.pl?117,0
It's Paul Grosse's design and it ISN'T my tutorial.

Good luck on your experiments! And don't forget to share the results here!

Kudos
Maru
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous