We are Wasderrockets

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
WasderRockets

We are Wasderrockets

Post by WasderRockets »

Hello fellow waterrocket engineers!

We are two guys from Northern Germany and started building waterrockets in 2013.
First we had just a rocket from a single bottle without a parachute any kind of fins.
Later we had more advanced rockets with primitive parachute deployment mechanisms.
We were inspired by different other rocketeers on the internet like RaketfuedRockets and AirCommandRockets which helped us a lot.
Our current rocket is the Venus I which is made out of two segments connected with something like a selfmade tornado tube.
It also has a parachute deployed by a tommy timer. We launched it successfully several times at low pressure.
Unfortunately our selfmade does not seal anymore, so we bought some tornado tubes in the internet but these are not any better.
Maybe someone out there can help us?

Here is our newest video where we launched our Venus I:

During this winter we did not work much on our rocket because our glue breaks at those freezing german temperatures. BO:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

WasderRockets

P.S.: WTF does this smiley mean: :DH: ?!
We are WasderRockets from Germany!
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: We are Wasderrockets

Post by skysaber89 »

:W
Those tornado tubes are not really designed for providing a good seal. The first thing I would do is to drill out the center hole and make it a bit bigger. The next thing I would to to get it to seal better would be to either make some gaskets, or buy some o-rings. I make them from bicycle inner tubing, which is great because the stuff is thin, but also strong and it seals very well. Just trace a circle on the inner tube using the neck as a template and cut it out. Then cut out a hole in the center so the air and water can pass through.

Might I ask what you use the tornado tubes for? Is it just to serve as a connection between two sections or is it so that the rocket can be taken apart for transportation? If they are for connecting to sections, then it might be better to try and make one large continuous splice, that way it allows the air and water to move with as little hinderince as possible.

Have fun mate
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by skysaber89 »

Also, :DH: means that someone is beating a dead horse. It means that people are talking about a subject that has already been settled, like beating a horse to death, and then continuing to beat it.
WasderRockets

Post by WasderRockets »

Oh thank you for the reply :)

We used the tornado tube to be able to take the rocket apart so we were able to fill it appropriately. But we tried to make a pressure tank out of multiple bottles but we must have done something wrong because water started dripping out already without even pressurizing it and we wondered about what we did wrong because we did it like with the smaller pressure tanks :/.
We are WasderRockets from Germany!